Mobileread
Kindle Talk Forum
#1  mdibella 11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Amazon has already put up a forum (kindletalk.com) and one of the headers is 'Kindle vs Other E-Book Readers'.

The first posted question here (posted by the administrator no less!) is 'Does anyone own a Sony', and asks 'Why do you think it (the Sony reader) is not successful?'

Isn't this a bit like asking a politician 'When did you stop beating your wife?' I thought the Sony reader was doing well. Has anyone seen any official Sony info that indicates they consider it to be unsuccessful?

#2  NatCh 11-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Nope, just CNET repeating the same (pre)conclusion.

#3  NatCh 11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I love this:
The Sony readers are everywhere but have not had much success.
Sounds like he's saying that the Sony Readers are unsuccessful in spite of what he terms as being "everywhere" -- so ... what does he consider "success" if it's not widespread adoption?

#4  mdibella 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I know, that was my own reaction. If I were a lawyer I'd say 'assumes facts not in evidence'. 8-)

Hey, the Kindle looks nice (though I think the Sony is better designed from an ergonomic perspective) and I will likely end up owning a Kindle even though I already have a Sony 505.

It's just a shame that Amazon has to start out playing games like this. If the Kindle is truly competetive, it should stand on its own without needing forum administrators to plant silly questions like this one.

#5  delphidb96 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Quote mdibella
Amazon has already put up a forum (kindletalk.com) and one of the headers is 'Kindle vs Other E-Book Readers'.

The first posted question here (posted by the administrator no less!) is 'Does anyone own a Sony', and asks 'Why do you think it (the Sony reader) is not successful?'

Isn't this a bit like asking a politician 'When did you stop beating your wife?' I thought the Sony reader was doing well. Has anyone seen any official Sony info that indicates they consider it to be unsuccessful?
WEEEEeeeeeellll... I *think* the PRS is *not* successful on Amazon *because* Amazon chose to stop effectively marketing it once they chose to build that disgusting piece of cr*p, the Kindle! Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

And has anyone noticed the .AZW format ebooks *must* be downloaded directly to the Kindle? If you don't *have* a Kindle, you can't *download* them! (Which means that - even at the inflated $9.99 price - no one can download them to a PC, rename the extension to .mobi and read them in Mobipocket. Waitaminit!?! Did I just let slip that .azw files are merely .mobi files with a different extension?!? OOPS!!! ) Sitting out here with an .azw file posted elsewhere but open on my Cybook Gen3, right now. No wonder they only allow the .azw titles to be downloaded through Whispernet!

Derek

#6  Alexander Turcic 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I am surprised they would make such a statement. In fact, first I couldn't believe this was an officially sanctioned Amazon site; but a whois on the domain reveals it's indeed Amazon owned.

#7  JSWolf 11-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Won't matter that AZW format might be PRC with a new extension if you can't buy them other then owning a Kindle

#8  NatCh 11-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm still waiting for my registration e-mail to come through, just so I can ask him how he defines "successful."

#9  DaleDe 11-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Quote JSWolf
Won't matter that AZW format might be PRC with a new extension if you can't buy them other then owning a Kindle
AZW has a different protection than Mobi so DRM books will not play from one to the other so only non-DRM can play that trick. Although it might well work for samples.

Dale

#10  NatCh 11-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Quote DaleDe
AZW has a different protection than Mobi
Where did you see that tidbit? I've missed it, but I've had to do a lot of skimming.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register