Mobileread
Using my daughter's Asus Transformer as an eReader...not bad at all
#21  bopfan 04-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Quote gstephen70
Hi all. I wanted to add that I have since figured out how to optimize the settings for book reading on the Transformer.
Well the title is a bit long....but I am hoping that someone might have some tips on which settings to use in Calibre for outputting to the Asus Prime.

On Page Setup I have alternated between using the so-called generic settings for a tablet, or, the settings for an iPad, or, the Samsung Galaxy and even the settings for a Color Nook. Most of the time the results are fine...and there doesn't seem (at least so far) to be a whole lot of difference in the results. Every once in awhile I get some 'fractured' texts.....sentences or paragraphs out of order etc. Rarely but it does happen....I wonder if it is because the original book had some artsy design format that just doesn't convert correctly?

I am, unfortunately, converting from pdf files to epub format. I understand that the pdf format is not the best starting point but that's what I have. So with that in mind does anyone have some recommendations based on their own experiences? Thanks!

#22  OldGunbunny 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote afv011
Apparently the problem is the design, they "forgot" to add an RF window to allow the WiFi, GPS and BT signals through.
I have no problem with WiFi or BT signals. The internal GPS on the Transformer is junk. Using a Globalstat external GPS receiver (a BT connection) fixed that issue.

#23  Prestidigitweeze 06-01-2012, 08:21 AM
When I first glanced at it, I misread the brand name ASUS, so that the thread title seemed to read "Using my daughter's Ass Transformer."

Immediately, I was plunged into a dismal universe in which people on airplane flights used the device to take up more space, their ever-expanding buttocks pushing me out into the aisle and then into the flight attendants' station.

Or perhaps an ass transformer could be used to mold donkeys into the shapes of national monuments. No one would get much riding done, but at least the barnyard would look more patriotic.

#24  Isles8008 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't think the original poster knows too much about tablets. An Android tablet is an obvious platform for eReading. The new Transformer Infinity has a pre-installed eReader app that is pretty good, aside from the numerous eReading apps available like:

Moon Reader+
Cool Reader
FBReader
Kindle app
Nook app
Kobo app

#25  bopfan 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Have been using Mantano Pro as a reader on my Asus tablets for quite awhile. Like it a lot.

Quote Isles8008
I don't think the original poster knows too much about tablets. An Android tablet is an obvious platform for eReading. The new Transformer Infinity has a pre-installed eReader app that is pretty good, aside from the numerous eReading apps available like:

Moon Reader+
Cool Reader
FBReader
Kindle app
Nook app
Kobo app

#26  Isles8008 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote bopfan
Have been using Mantano Pro as a reader on my Asus tablets for quite awhile. Like it a lot.
Good choice. It is a great eReading application. I also suggest Moon Reader+ Pro and Cool Reader. You can fine tune your eReading experience very well with these. I am now using Moon Reader as my main app on a Google Nexus 10 tablet.

#27  Prestidigitweeze 12-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote Isles8008
I am now using Moon Reader as my main app on a Google Nexus 10 tablet.
Whereas I'm using Moon Reader as my main reading app on a dinky Samsung Galaxy S.

How is that ppi ratio treating you, Isles -- have you noticed a comparative lack of eye strain?

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register