6f7aa7c3gy1gaox9crtixj20u0140dk3.jpg 

#2  underscore 01-08-2020, 03:52 AM
Quote cqman
We'll see.

CES2020
let's hope so
(using a kingrow k1 in the meantime)

#3  orebmur 01-08-2020, 06:34 AM
I am using the Hisense A5 since a few days and i am quite content with it so far. For me, this finally is a smartphone that makes sense thanks to the e-ink display.

Nonetheless, it would be great to have more options and i'd be glad to see some competition coming from Onyx Boox in that area.

#4  pinko 01-08-2020, 06:53 AM
ohhhh yessss 😍😍😍
Onyx previews its new E-Ink smartphone at CES 2020. It comes with a 5.8" E-Ink display, Android 9 and an octa-core ARM processor.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBPpwcDJgQ&t=15s
article: https://notebookitalia.it/onyx-smartphone-e-ink-foto-video-anteprima-29252

very good: three mode with higher refresh rate and Play Store support

#5  pdurrant 01-08-2020, 07:10 AM
That does look very interesting indeed.

#6  Gibbo 01-08-2020, 07:41 AM
I like it.

#7  Question Mark 01-08-2020, 08:33 AM
Ah, this comes out just after I received my Hisense A5 two days ago. Figures...

Haven't really had too much time yet to play with the A5, but I am quite liking it.

However, I've discovered that a couple of my favourite apps won't run without Google Play services. Hadn't been expecting that. I knew that Google Maps and other such apps from Google likely wouldn't work and that I would manually have to update sideloaded apps etc. But I am sorely missing Moon + Reader Pro and a well used Japanese dictionary app. Fortunately, the free version of Moon + Reader is working.

So, if Onyx can get Google Play working, and if other specs are similar or better, I may just be tempted...

#8  dkccerbero 01-10-2020, 09:14 AM
Im waiting for this, a color e ink smartphone: https://youtu.be/JAVZL83k5aU

#9  Question Mark 01-10-2020, 10:12 AM
Yes, looks exciting. I kind of like the muted colours.

It looks exactly like the Hisense A5 except with a colour screen. It will be interesting to see how it performs and what cost it comes in at.

It will also be interesting to see if Onyx comes out with a colour eink phone now. Competition can be a good thing... May wait for a while before I make any more phone purchases.

#10  Philju 02-03-2020, 03:20 PM
@Onyx:
If I were you I would consider just to skip the black/white e ink phone display shown at CES 2020 and to replace it by a color e ink display right from the start.

Since Hisense presented the first color e ink display at CES 2020 everybody is waiting for this technology to get rolled out. Therefore I assume that only very few people would still buy a smartphone with a black/white display at the moment.

By offering your new e ink phone with a color display you could not only catch up with your competitor Hisense but even outnumber them, because your products allow Google services. Hisense however is still too stubborn to realize the significance of working Google services to achieve broad consumer acceptance.

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register