Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for August 2018 • What is It Good for? Absolutely Nothin': War
#71  issybird 07-13-2018, 07:47 AM
Quote kso
I suggest Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, about a "war" that's unfortunately never going to end (I used to be an optimist; I'm now old enough to be a realist).

klaus
Welcome to the book club, klaus!

An interesting suggestion and another direction to take this theme; the world is a sorry and worrisome place these days. Thank you. More book titles are always good, but the poll for the August selection closed a few days ago and picked The Great Halifax Explosion by John U. Bacon which is free for Kindle at Amazon UK. The discussion starts on August 15 and everyone's welcome. Hope you'll join in.

If you can't wait, the July discussion of Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury starts in a few days. It's a shortish book and people don't have to be there at the opening bell.

#72  Dngrsone 07-14-2018, 01:00 AM
Pretty much guaranteed I won't be... I've barely started reading.

#73  Catlady 08-10-2018, 03:31 PM
One of the nominated books, Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, is on sale today at Amazon for $1.99.

#74  Bookpossum 08-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Thanks Catlady.
ETA Not in Australia alas.

#75  issybird 08-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Quote Catlady
One of the nominated books, Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, is on sale today at Amazon for $1.99.
A really terrific book. Historical fiction doesn't get better.

« First  « Prev   (8/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register