Mobileread
New Kindle Oasis on the horizon?
#1  BionicGecko 09-24-2022, 07:27 AM
Just spotted this thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/xmbr54/new_kindle_oasis/

Not quite sure this is legit, there’s not much info and the specs seem a bit weird. Thoughts?

#2  Quoth 09-24-2022, 11:02 AM
The 6 weeks vs 10 weeks is a copy & paste error. Either it's 6 or 10 always unless one is using a cover with a battery in it. A battery in cover is a Voyage, not Oasis.

I can't see anything there suggesting a new model of Oasis other than USB-C, the current is Micro-USB? That's a minor change.
Certainly if there is a new model Oasis it likely will have USB-C and they might drop the 8G version. But my gen 9 Oasis is 32G Byte and for an eReader the mini-USB, micro-USB or USB-C is purely a change of connector. The fastest USB devices I have are a micro-USB 3.5" HDD (internally SATA) and my Canon EOS-70D camera with a 256G flash card.
I have Sage & Elipsa with USB-C and they only go faster and charge faster (from same Lenovo USB-A charger) than micro USB original Libra because they are faster and can charge faster, not because it's a USB-C connector on the eReader.

Current Oasis
Our best 7", 300 ppi flush-front Paperwhite display.
Adjustable warm light to shift screen shade from white to amber.
Waterproof (IPX8) so you can read in the bath or by the pool. Your Kindle has been tested to withstand accidental immersion in water.
Thin and light ergonomic design with page turn buttons.
Reads like real paper with the latest e-ink technology for fast page turns.
Instant access to millions of books, newspapers, and audiobooks.
Works with Audible - pair with Bluetooth headphones or speakers to switch seamlessly between reading and listening.

A single charge lasts up to six (6) weeks, based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless and Bluetooth off and the light setting at 13. Battery life will vary based on light settings, wireless usage. Audible audiobook streaming over Bluetooth will reduce battery life.

#3  issybird 09-24-2022, 11:48 AM
Quote Quoth
The 6 weeks vs 10 weeks is a copy & paste error. Either it's 6 or 10 always unless one is using a cover with a battery in it. A battery in cover is a Voyage, not Oasis.
Wasn’t the first gen Oasis the 6” one with a battery in the cover? It never made sense that they kept that name for the totally revamped Oasis 2.

#4  dublincheri 09-24-2022, 12:39 PM
Quote issybird
Wasn’t the first gen Oasis the 6” one with a battery in the cover? It never made sense that they kept that name for the totally revamped Oasis 2.
Yes it was. I still take mine out now and again wishing there was a newer version just like it with more storage. It was one of the most comfortable Kindles I have ever owned (Voyage was the other one).

#5  ZodWallop 09-24-2022, 01:42 PM
Though the information was likely just an error, I would bet that there will be a new Oasis soon. Considering the rest of their current lineup, buying an Oasis seems foolish.

Based on the latest Paperwhite and Basic, I'm really curious to see what they do with a new Oasis. The Kindle labs have been on a roll lately.

#6  Bookstooge 09-24-2022, 02:07 PM
Quote dublincheri
Yes it was. I still take mine out now and again wishing there was a newer version just like it with more storage. It was one of the most comfortable Kindles I have ever owned (Voyage was the other one).
Yep, that Oasis is still my main reader. I only keep 100-200 books on it a time so room was never an issue for me. I bought mine back in '17 and so the battery case is starting to show signs of aging (not holding a charge for as long). When I go on ebay, any ones being sold are ALL without the battery cover. Bugs me!

So I am always hoping for a new Oasis too...

#7  Bookstooge 09-24-2022, 02:08 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Though the information was likely just an error, I would bet that there will be a new Oasis soon. Considering the rest of their current lineup, buying an Oasis seems foolish.

Based on the latest Paperwhite and Basic, I'm really curious to see what they do with a new Oasis. The Kindle labs have been on a roll lately.
Do any of the other Kindles have physical buttons? Because if they don't, then it's not a foolish choice at all.

#8  Badcatalex 09-24-2022, 02:29 PM
Don't give me hope, don't give me hope...

#9  BionicGecko 09-24-2022, 02:47 PM
Quote Quoth
I can't see anything there suggesting a new model of Oasis other than USB-C, the current is Micro-USB? That's a minor change.
Indeed seems like a really minor change, which is what puzzled me when I saw that thread. I would expect the updates to their flagship device after three years to be a bit more significant.

Seeing that Apple was forced to replace their Lightning connector on the new iPhones in the EU with USB-C, could it be that Amazon is simply changing the connector to be in line with EU regulations? Somehow that’d be surprising because micro-USB, although old, is still an open standard and I don’t believe it is challenged in the same way as the Lightning connector is.

Anyway, I hope they do not miss this opportunity for a real revamp, the Oasis is sure due for one!

#10  Spinningwoman 09-24-2022, 03:42 PM
Although I would regard usb-c as a minor change, it seems to be a huge deal for a lot of people. I keep tech long enough that I’m used to coping with a variety of cables, but some people regard it as a major issue. I bought an Oasis quite recently when Amazon had them at a reduced price, and I can’t really imagine what upgrades would make me regret that.

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register