Mobileread
Kindle to utilize epub format in late 2022
#1  Holdwink 04-30-2022, 08:39 AM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G5WYD9SAF7PGXRNA&linkCode=sl2& tag=gooderead-20&linkId=061560a0ff3c1811a62ad5e5d59dc3c1&languag e=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/the-amazon-kindle-will-support-epub-in-late-2022

Moderator Notice
Clarification: Amazon now accept ePubs for their email-to-kindle process, and later in 2022 their "Send To Kindle" programs will be updated to accept ePubs. There has been no announcement about Kindles being able to display ePubs natively.

#2  Quoth 04-30-2022, 10:11 AM
Ah but with what DRM?

Or like Apple with iTunes and music publishers will Amazon convince publishers that DRM is pointless? It is proven to be pointless. Even "unbreakable" DRM can be broken as a camera or microphone works as well as your ears or eyes. Most volume pirated ebooks are copied initially from paper.

Otherwise this should have been 10 years ago.

BUT it might only be about sending stuff to Amazon. KDP preference has been epub for years.

Will it really mean Amazon Sales will be epub, or that FW later this year on some models will add epub?

I'm sceptical it means Amazon delivering epub.

#3  salamanderjuice 04-30-2022, 10:21 AM
Quote Quoth
Ah but with what DRM?

Or like Apple with iTunes and music publishers will Amazon convince publishers that DRM is pointless? It is proven to be pointless. Even "unbreakable" DRM can be broken as a camera or microphone works as well as your ears or eyes. Most volume pirated ebooks are copied initially from paper.

Otherwise this should have been 10 years ago.

BUT it might only be about sending stuff to Amazon. KDP preference has been epub for years.

Will it really mean Amazon Sales will be epub, or that FW later this year on some models will add epub?

I'm sceptical it means Amazon delivering epub.
Read the support article Goodereader links. It's literally just that the Kindle Personal Document service will support ePub and I'm pretty sure it'll just be converting your emailed epub to AZW3 or KFX before delivering to your device just like they do now if you email an .epub as a "png" file. Nowhere do they say Kindles will natively support ePub.

#4  jhowell 04-30-2022, 10:49 AM
Quote salamanderjuice
Read the support article Goodereader links. It's literally just that the Kindle Personal Document service will support ePub and I'm pretty sure it'll just be converting your emailed epub to AZW3 or KFX before delivering to your device just like they do now if you email an .epub as a "png" file. Nowhere do they say Kindles will natively support ePub.
Exactly. And I would be extremely surprised to see them convert to KFX. Enhanced typesetting is meant only for books they sell.

#5  Joliet Jake 04-30-2022, 01:11 PM
Send to Kindle will suspend the ability to load in MOBI, since it is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. If you have MOBI books already on your Kindle, they will continue to be accessible. Amazon is also disabling to the ability to send AZW to the Kindle.
And why are they doing this?

#6  hleo12 04-30-2022, 02:02 PM
Quote Joliet Jake
From Amazon's website:

Note: Beginning in late 2022, you'll no longer be able to send MOBI (.AZW, .MOBI) files to your library using Send to Kindle. This change won't affect any MOBI files already in your Kindle library. MOBI is an older file format and won't support the newest Kindle features for documents.

I guess Amazon is finally budging on documents having next to no features outside of the basic font and spacing ones. But I doubt they'll give documents the same features as kfx or azw3.

They might also allow embedding amazon IDs to the books/documents you send so they'll have store information (the new book details feature). This is more of a personal wish tho

But knowing how Amazon is slowly closing off its ecosystem, it might also mean your downloaded documents would be like kfx and you wouldn't be able to copy them directly from your Kindle.

#7  Quoth 04-30-2022, 02:11 PM
Quote salamanderjuice
I think so. Also possibly encrypted azw3. I don't think it's about epub directly on Kindles.

KFX is as much for extra encryption and more economical mobile/cellular delivery than so-called advanced type setting. A suitable renderer could do the same with azw3, after all the preferred KDP source is epub2 for years and the same source is used to create the azw3 and kfx.

#8  Quoth 04-30-2022, 02:12 PM
Quote Joliet Jake
So as to reduce support costs. They already don't accept mobi on KDP.

#9  JSWolf 04-30-2022, 03:09 PM
It's time Amazon dropped Mobi as a format. Mobi's time has come and it's time to let it go away forever.

#10  j.p.s 04-30-2022, 03:25 PM
Quote Joliet Jake
They finally realized their policy of rejecting EPUB was stupid.

Their automatic conversion engine has worked on EPUB for years, and people have been bypassing the policy by renaming EPUB to have a zip, txt, or png extension for years.

Next »  Last »  (1/38)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register