Mobileread
If you need help with your Literati come here!
#21  threebeers 01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Quote EncoreTech
I got a good deal on a Literati...at "Goodwill"....unfortunately it appears that it might not be worth it.

The reason I really want this, is that I work with a theatre company & we receive frequent submissions of scripts, so I would like to save them as a PDF and put on the reader, saving paper & ink. Of course, I'd probably use it for just reading other books as well, but the script submissions is the primary reason I bit the bullet and bought the Literati.

The item had obviously been out of the box, but upon inspection it looked like it had not been used much. The case wasn't even unwrapped from the plastic.

My biggest issue with the Literati, was that when I plug it into my laptop with the USB, Windows gives me an error saying that there is no driver for the device. I called TechSupport, they said to take it back to the store and ask for a new device (it was the only one!).

IS THERE AN ALTERNATE WAY TO INSTALL A DRIVER ON MY LAPTOP?

Thanks for your help.

Otherwise, I'm gonna return it for my money back.
It isn't your computer, it's the device. First, find a wifi hotspot and install the latest firmware on the device (2.0). This takes a while and might take two downloads/installs and a hard reset. Then turn on the device, then plug it in USB. It should be recognized as a drive letter.

And unless you intend to buy stuff from Kobo, don't bother with Kobo desktop, Calibre works great. It installs stuff in the right files on the device. Set all margins to 0 when you convert or dl Calibre feeds.

Congrats on getting it cheap. Lots of people got these for Xmas as gifts and don't know what to do with them. If you spend an hour configuring it per the above, it works well. Runs the same software as a Kobo reader.

#22  amybobamy 02-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Well folks, I fought the good fight. Tonight, at 6:30 PM local time, my Literati device refused to power up. No matter how much CPR (on-button pressure) I provided -- it could not be resuscitated.

Shall be returned tomorrow for a refund.

At least I learned a little about e-readers, and that I probably really want a PDN or a Nook.

Can someone point the way to forums for those readers, please?

#23  nyjastul69 02-02-2011, 03:18 AM
My Literati 'Onboard Storage' is reading 180 MB of 252 MB. Is 252 MB of memory the proper amount? I've read a few conflicting answers so far.

Please note that I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world so I apologize if I'm missing something. Thank you for your time.

#24  vjplo 02-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Quote amybobamy
Well folks, I fought the good fight. Tonight, at 6:30 PM local time, my Literati device refused to power up. No matter how much CPR (on-button pressure) I provided -- it could not be resuscitated.
Did you try the paper clip reset in the back? That's rescued me a few times.

#25  amybobamy 02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
vjplo -- This didn't work. It just won't power up at all. It is now back at kohls!

I am wondering, though -- I was charging it at a regular outlet, and do you think that if it had been at a surge-protected outlet ... maybe it got fried (or at least jolted).

Though to be perfectly honest, I'm really understanding why the manufacturer and resale outlets are dumping them at $12/shot!

#26  vjplo 02-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Quote amybobamy
vjplo -- This didn't work. It just won't power up at all. It is now back at kohls!

I am wondering, though -- I was charging it at a regular outlet, and do you think that if it had been at a surge-protected outlet ... maybe it got fried (or at least jolted).

Though to be perfectly honest, I'm really understanding why the manufacturer and resale outlets are dumping them at $12/shot!
I don't think the outlet type matters.
Some of us (including me) like it, others hate it, and there are so many who report problems with it. DH has one, too, so we're 2 for 2 as far as success goes.

#27  clownfav 02-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I was readling along with my Literati this morning and all of a sudden it won't turn the page, won't let me turn it off..........nothing! The whole thing is frozen. Any suggestions?

#28  Kismatt 02-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote nyjastul69
My Literati 'Onboard Storage' is reading 180 MB of 252 MB. Is 252 MB of memory the proper amount? I've read a few conflicting answers so far.

Please note that I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world so I apologize if I'm missing something. Thank you for your time.
Internal storage is 256MB, so 252MB (with OS wiggle room) is the correct amount. You can add up to 8GB with an SD card.

#29  curtw 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote clownfav
I was readling along with my Literati this morning and all of a sudden it won't turn the page, won't let me turn it off..........nothing! The whole thing is frozen. Any suggestions?
Have you tried a paper clip in the reset hole? I got my first lock-up last night, and this solved it.

#30  Laurabel 02-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote dkb479
So I just bought a book on the B & N site. I downloaded it to the adobe digital editions and it will not take it, states it is authorized to another user. Can someone help me get this file onto my Liberati reader please!!!
epub.v6.epub
I have had this same problem, can anyone help? Thanks

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/38)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register