Mobileread
iRex new eink device
#1  Henrycat 12-15-2005, 08:37 AM
image »

Since i didn't find any reference here in the forum here's what i have found out from a friend of a friend of someone who is on the inside

This seems to be the almost final version of the device.
The device will use a 8.1 XGA (1024x768) eink screen with a contrast similar to the one from the Librie (8-10, newspaper being 6-8).

#2  Bob Russell 12-15-2005, 09:34 AM
This is a pretty exciting development. I usually read ebooks on my Treo, and it works well for me despite the tiny screen because it's always with me. But this is the sort of device that could win me over to a dedicated ebook reader. If only the bookmarks could automatically sync, so I can read one book on multiple devices and not have to keep remembering and manually refinding my place with a text search!

#3  Henrycat 12-15-2005, 10:18 AM
The device will run on Linux, and it seems they will provide all the necessary information to allow the more "skilled" users to develop their apps.

#4  bingle 12-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Wow, that's a beautiful shot. I think the screen size makes this win out over the Hanlin offering as my new most-highly-anticipated ebook device.

Did your friend happen to have any more information on a release date or pricing? All I've heard is early 2006 in Europe.

#5  Henrycat 12-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Update

* 16 levels of gray (librie has 4)

* rechargable battery lasts 1 week when you're reading 3 hours per day

* "internet content" can be displayed (alas no browsing)

* WiFi + USB connectivity

Thanks to Sven Neuhaus in the Librie Yahoo group.

#6  Alexander Turcic 12-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Quote Henrycat
Update

* 16 levels of gray (librie has 4)

* rechargable battery lasts 1 week when you're reading 3 hours per day

* "internet content" can be displayed (alas no browsing)

* WiFi + USB connectivity

Thanks to Sven Neuhaus in the Librie Yahoo group.
Any estimate on pricing? It looks gorgeous!

#7  arivero 01-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Quote Alexander
Any estimate on pricing? It looks gorgeous!
Well, given that you can theoretically link via USB a Librie and a Nokia 770 to meet the specifications of the Illiad (the Nokia provides Wifi), I would hope the price be under $700.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register