Mobileread
How and Where to Publish Your Ebooks
#11  BearMountainBooks 08-31-2009, 08:50 PM
I posted this on another thread, but in answer to someone's question about popular formats, smashwords did a survey:

http://blog.smashwords.com/2009/03/why-multi-format-ebooks-matter.html

Edward Patterson published this helpful guide on publishing ebooks (his experiences and recommendations and he has a lot to say) It happens to be a free download, making it even more useful:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/316

Me, I'm still learning. I can say that the biggest problem is finding a place where enough readers go. Amazon works very well for that precise reason. Tons of readers go there. For any other format, it's a battle to find the readers because there are simply too many sites--it's impossible to go to all of them to get one or two or 10 readers.

It's also a changing scene with new devices coming out and new converts to e-books joining daily!

Maria
Sage: (multiple formats; Amazon or Smashwords--$1.00)
Catch an Honest Thief (Kindle only format: $1.99; a cozy mystery)

#12  ahi 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Sorry, Hadrien, you lost me... in practical terms what's OPDS about?

- Ahi

#13  Hadrien 09-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Quote ahi
Sorry, Hadrien, you lost me... in practical terms what's OPDS about?

- Ahi
It's a standard for e-book distribution. That's the core technology that we use for our integration with Stanza (iPhone) and Aldiko (Android).

#14  JSWolf 09-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Quote BearMountainBooks
I posted this on another thread, but in answer to someone's question about popular formats, smashwords did a survey:

http://blog.smashwords.com/2009/03/why-multi-format-ebooks-matter.html

Edward Patterson published this helpful guide on publishing ebooks (his experiences and recommendations and he has a lot to say) It happens to be a free download, making it even more useful:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/316

Me, I'm still learning. I can say that the biggest problem is finding a place where enough readers go. Amazon works very well for that precise reason. Tons of readers go there. For any other format, it's a battle to find the readers because there are simply too many sites--it's impossible to go to all of them to get one or two or 10 readers.

It's also a changing scene with new devices coming out and new converts to e-books joining daily!

Maria
Sage: (multiple formats; Amazon or Smashwords--$1.00)
Catch an Honest Thief (Kindle only format: $1.99; a cozy mystery)
The thing with Feedbooks is that their conversions are overall better than Smashwords. So (personally), I'd prefer books from Feedbooks overall.

#15  BearMountainBooks 09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
JS Wolf--thanks for that feedback. I've heard others talk about feedbook as well. I'll have to check them (and their inventory!)

Maria

#16  Hadrien 09-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Quote JSWolf
The thing with Feedbooks is that their conversions are overall better than Smashwords. So (personally), I'd prefer books from Feedbooks overall.
And we're working on making our books even better right as we speak. I'll finally release our support for dropcaps and footnotes (links to a non-linear flow).

#17  ahi 09-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Quote Hadrien
And we're working on making our books even better right as we speak. I'll finally release our support for dropcaps and footnotes (links to a non-linear flow).
Is PDF generation via LaTeX not practical to achieve?

Your PDFs are pretty good, but the basic aesthetics could be improved another small step via LaTeX generation... the main trick you'd probably want, in order to avoid overfull lines (at the expense of many usually not nearly as egregious underfull ones), is to set \tolerance to 9999. That way, while less than perfect, the LaTeX output is all but sure to not be blatantly erroneous on account of text being cut-off.

- Ahi

#18  Hadrien 09-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Quote ahi
Is PDF generation via LaTeX not practical to achieve?

Your PDFs are pretty good, but the basic aesthetics could be improved another small step via LaTeX generation... the main trick you'd probably want, in order to avoid overfull lines (at the expense of many usually not nearly as egregious underfull ones), is to set \tolerance to 9999. That way, while less than perfect, the LaTeX output is all but sure to not be blatantly erroneous on account of text being cut-off.

- Ahi
Our PDF output used to be based on LaTeX but we switched to Prince XML a year ago. The new 7.0 version for Prince will have better hyphenation support (Liang's algorithm, like TeX), kerning and various typographical improvements. We'll move to Prince 7.0 as soon as the final version is available.

#19  ahi 09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Quote Hadrien
Our PDF output used to be based on LaTeX but we switched to Prince XML a year ago. The new 7.0 version for Prince will have better hyphenation support (Liang's algorithm, like TeX), kerning and various typographical improvements. We'll move to Prince 7.0 as soon as the final version is available.
Very cool. I've read about Prince XML before. Can I ask what the reason for the move was?

- Ahi

#20  Hadrien 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Quote ahi
Very cool. I've read about Prince XML before. Can I ask what the reason for the move was?

- Ahi
We have various tools to white-list, validate and transform XHTML in our workflow. It's much easier for us to use the same core technology for EPUB, Mobipocket and PDF.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/14)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register