Mobileread
My 2 cents worth on the jetBook
#1  smithno 04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
I couldn't resist the $179-shipped Fry's deal and got a jetBook. I have tried a few formats and am on Chapter 3 of a Tom Swift book in PDF format from Feedbooks. The PDF is a "custom" version with values that I found on the jetBook formum site. It is extremely readable. I also flashed it with the update as soon as I got it charged up.

My likes:
Things I don't like:
My conclusions are that I like it. It is not as good as the current e-ink devices, but that is mostly from a software stand point. The jetBook with better software below the $200 could be a killer machine! The jetBook with better software at +-$200 would be a killer machine! By software, I mean formats that work and DRM; the general user interface with search, deleting files, etc. is fine. I have been doubtful about 5-inch readers, but now I firmly believe that they will do well in the marketplace! I believe that the magic price point for mass reader acceptance is $199. 5-inch readers could be that item!

#2  Jack Tingle 04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Good summary. Thank you for the review. Alas, you convinced me I don't really need to spend that much money for an extra 1-1/2" of reading space. I guess I'll stick to my PDA for now.

It's a shame, because my favorite ebook reader was my ancient Compaq Aero 1550 PDA, which had a screen similar to the jetBook. It was easily readable under almost all lighting conditions. The ones you couldn't read it in, you probably shouldn't be reading in anyway. I was sorely tempted by the BB&B announcement, but the closest BB&B store in New England with jetBooks is in Somerville, MA, and I was just not that motivated.

Sigh. Maybe when the price drops below $150.

Thanks,
Jack Tingle

#3  Kris777 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi smithno,
Thank you for your review! I downloaded several books in ePub format from Gutenberg.org and some of them were illustrated. I had no problems to open it.
Did you try ePub books from Gutenberg.org?

#4  Kris777 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Quote Jack Tingle
Good summary. Thank you for the review. Alas, you convinced me I don't really need to spend that much money for an extra 1-1/2" of reading space. I guess I'll stick to my PDA for now.

It's a shame, because my favorite ebook reader was my ancient Compaq Aero 1550 PDA, which had a screen similar to the jetBook. It was easily readable under almost all lighting conditions. The ones you couldn't read it in, you probably shouldn't be reading in anyway. I was sorely tempted by the BB&B announcement, but the closest BB&B store in New England with jetBooks is in Somerville, MA, and I was just not that motivated.

Sigh. Maybe when the price drops below $150.

Thanks,
Jack Tingle
$150 price looks unreal but NewEgg.com sell it for $199.95 and they don't charge taxes.

#5  wodin 04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the review. Mine should arrive today~

#6  DaleDe 04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Quote Jack Tingle
You do realize that the 1-1/2" addition gives twice the reading area? It is a significant difference. There are also several 5" E-INK devices becoming available and if 1-1/2" isn't enough you might go with an eBookwise 1150 with a 2" larger screen and even cheaper.

Dale

#7  Jack Tingle 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Quote DaleDe
You do realize that the 1-1/2" addition gives twice the reading area? It is a significant difference...
Dale
Well, no it isn't a significant difference to me, not at $200. Doubling the reading space is nice, but you also double the weight, and now have to keep track of 2 pieces of hardware. I just got my PDA and my cell phone to be one object. Paying to go backward to 2 hunks of plastic is a disadvantage. Doubling the reading area just isn't enough.

It's too bad, but my current system works OK. The improvement (the game) is not worth the cost (the candle), to mangle a quote.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

#8  ColdSun 05-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Is the Jetbook backlit?

#9  JSWolf 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Quote ColdSun
Is the Jetbook backlit?
No, it is not backlit and never will be.

#10  ColdSun 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Quote JSWolf
No, it is not backlit and never will be.
That's a shame. I won't buy an LCD unless its backlit.

Thanks for your oh-so-complete answer. If I remember correctly, you are the guy that gets all irratated when anyone just mentions LCD or backlight.

Why would this be any better than e-Ink then? My PRS-505 has a ton more battery power. The only reason I can see getting LCD is to have a backlight. I would likely recommend getting an ebookwise-1150 if you don't want e-Ink. I can't see paying nearly $200 on an LCD device that doesn't work in the dark. Better yet, I'm still waiting for an answer on that 4.3" PMP in the other thread. Only $70 bucks!

I went back to reading on my Nokia 770 for the time being. The PRS-505 just sits there. I don't much like the light for it (which actually makes it worse than reading on an LCD), and since I read mostly in the dark, I'm just looking for the right device.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register