Mobileread
Text search on Kindle Apps for fixed layout KF8
#1  Pradeep k 01-17-2020, 02:34 AM
We have created an eBook in fixed layout KF8 format.We are able to search for text on the kindle fire device but unable to search for text on kindle previewer 3 or amazon apps like kindle for PC and Kindle for MAC.

Is text search supported for KF8 fixed layout ebooks on kindle apps and kindle previewer 3 ?

Are we doing something wrong or is this functionality not available ??

How come the search is working on a kindle fire device and not on apps ?

Your suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

#2  jhowell 01-17-2020, 09:17 AM
I have not tested it myself, but according to the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines 2019.2, Section 13 (Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups), it is supposed to be supported for fixed layout books without panels or popups.

13.2 Text Guidelines

Live HTML Text

In this method, the background image is stripped of text and the majority of text in the book is rendered as live HTML text. The text can be repositioned as needed for a good eBook experience. This method also allows search and dictionary functionality.

Invisible Text Overlay

For text that is part of an image, or is irregularly sized, angled, or curved, you can capture that text as part of the background and use invisible overlay text (using the opacity:0 property in the CSS file) to enable selection, dictionary lookup, and search.
----

I will add that creating fixed layout based on PDF instead of HTML would be less prone to problems.

#3  Pradeep k 01-18-2020, 01:45 AM
Quote jhowell
I have not tested it myself, but according to the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines 2019.2, Section 13 (Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups), it is supposed to be supported for fixed layout books without panels or popups.

----

I will add that creating fixed layout based on PDF instead of HTML would be less prone to problems.
Thank you for the suggestions.Will try this out and get back to you.

#4  Hitch 01-20-2020, 11:09 AM
Quote jhowell

----

I can say that FXL, created using Kindle Create, from Amazon, is rife with problems. I don't say that because it's a DIY app or any nonsense like that, but:
  1. Links in the TOC don't work in most apps;
  2. Links, either internal or external, are ONLY working, right now, in Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac.
  3. This should NOT be confused with the whole "links don't work on iOS devices" situation.
  4. Despite what Amazon's Guidelines say, and Help pages, etc., the FXL eBooks without popups are NOT available to be read on eInks. I don't mean the K2s, I mean, Paperwhites, Oases, Voyages, etc. no matter how new. Yes, I know, the pages say that they are, but they aren't. I just had the joyful experience of refunding a customer his entire payment, because he claimed that I 'defrauded him" by not expressly telling him that FXL Textbook formatted eBooks (made with KC, not KTC, mind you) aren't available to be read on eInks. Yes, before you all helpfully chime in here, I know, it's Amazon's fault and problem, but it's not their reputation that will suffer if he starts shooting his mouth off around the net.)

This app has not gone the way that Amazon thought it would and the results are pretty dire. The FXL apps seem to work okay for kids' books, but anything above and beyond that, it's DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!, and I strongly recommend warning your customers in the clearest, monosyllabic terms so that you don't get run over with it as I did.

I did tell him that the file would not be readable on all devices, upfront. But because I used the generic term "mobi" to describe the file, in our early emails, he decided that was fraud. (sigh). I finally decided, since he was such a PITA, that there was no point in fighting with him further. (Even though, BTW, Amazon's ECR was perfectly happy to talk to him and tell him that the file had been perfectly built and it wasn't "our" doing at my shop, but he REFUSED to take a call from Amazon. SIGH).

Anyway, my point is, hell...they may NOT be searchable. I haven't tested them, TBH.

Hitch

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register