Mobileread
Issues with TOC of mobi file after sending it to kindle
#1  kindlehater 01-05-2020, 10:05 PM
I have a mobi file with 2 level - table of contents when it is opened by Calibre as the image below.
image »

Then, I send this file to my kindle by sendtokindle app on my pc.
After that, the TOC is messed up as the image below. All links are jammed into "Front Matter".
image »

Anyone knows why and how to fix it?
Thanks!

#2  hobnail 01-06-2020, 12:32 AM
The MOBI format is only necessary for very old Kindle devices. If your kindle isn't ancient try using Calibre and convert the MOBI to AZW3 and see how that comes out. You can use Calibre to send the book to your Kindle if it's connected to your computer with a USB cable. On the Kindle delete the MOBI format of the book before you send the AZW3 format to avoid confusion of having the book in multiple formats. You can also do that deleting with Calibre.

#3  Hitch 01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Quote hobnail
The MOBI format is only necessary for very old Kindle devices. If your kindle isn't ancient try using Calibre and convert the MOBI to AZW3 and see how that comes out. You can use Calibre to send the book to your Kindle if it's connected to your computer with a USB cable. On the Kindle delete the MOBI format of the book before you send the AZW3 format to avoid confusion of having the book in multiple formats. You can also do that deleting with Calibre.
That's fine, for individual eBooks that will never be published at Amazon, but be advised that recently, we're getting books returned to us, with KQNs (Kindle Qualit5y Notices) REQUIRING that multi-level TOCs be altered to single-level only, to facilitate the customer view on K4PC.

Be aware!

Hitch

#4  hobnail 01-06-2020, 12:29 PM
Quote Hitch
That's fine, for individual eBooks that will never be published at Amazon, but be advised that recently, we're getting books returned to us, with KQNs (Kindle Qualit5y Notices) REQUIRING that multi-level TOCs be altered to single-level only, to facilitate the customer view on K4PC.

Be aware!

Hitch
Does that mean simply changing all of your h3 tags to h2? That would kind of suck if you prefer the visual clue of the h3 text being smaller than h2 text. Or is there a way to keep multi levels of h tags but meet their requirements? Besides something wonky like having different classes on the h2 tags that were previously h3 tags.

#5  Hitch 01-06-2020, 01:46 PM
Quote hobnail
Does that mean simply changing all of your h3 tags to h2? That would kind of suck if you prefer the visual clue of the h3 text being smaller than h2 text. Or is there a way to keep multi levels of h tags but meet their requirements? Besides something wonky like having different classes on the h2 tags that were previously h3 tags.
You're conflating the toc.html and the ncx. For the NCX, it basically means ALL h1 tags, which makes me about as happy as you can imagine (not).

IF you build your NCX using the toc.html, yes, that's what that means.

Don't use headings to size your text; headings are STRUCTURAL, not decorative. If you choose to use your heading CSS to make one larger than the next, that's your prerogative, but text sizing, font, font decoration or enhancement (like bold, italic) should be done in CSS.

Hitch

#6  hobnail 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM
Quote Hitch
You're conflating the toc.html and the ncx. For the NCX, it basically means ALL h1 tags, which makes me about as happy as you can imagine (not).
What I'm really conflating/thinking about is what I see when I click on the Generate Table of Contents button in Sigil. After I do that then I do the EPUB3 tools thing to generate the NCX.

Don't use headings to size your text; headings are STRUCTURAL, not decorative. If you choose to use your heading CSS to make one larger than the next, that's your prerogative, but text sizing, font, font decoration or enhancement (like bold, italic) should be done in CSS.
Agreed.

#7  kindlehater 01-07-2020, 03:38 AM
Quote Hitch

Be aware!

Hitch
So, no more multi-level books, is that right? It really irritates me.
Do you know why single level TOC would facilitate the customer view on K4PC?

#8  kindlehater 01-07-2020, 04:11 AM
I tried send another mobi file with multi-level TOC to my kindle by sendtokindle. My kindle does show this file's multi-level TOC.

So, what causing the conflated TOC is in the mobi file.

#9  Hitch 01-07-2020, 08:39 AM
Quote kindlehater
I tried send another mobi file with multi-level TOC to my kindle by sendtokindle. My kindle does show this file's multi-level TOC.

So, what causing the conflated TOC is in the mobi file.
Do you know WHICH TOC you are seeing? The NCX or the toc.html? I daresay you don't.

Hitch

#10  kindlehater 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
I'm talking about the TOC in the image below. I think it is NCX TOC, right?

image »

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register