Mobileread
Self publishing via Amazon
#11  issybird 11-25-2019, 07:43 AM
Quote pdurrant
"Publish and Perish"?
Fortunately titles aren't copyrighted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QBPMIM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

#12  skb 11-25-2019, 03:52 PM
It's a bunch of letters he's written to his wife, I believe. Which is why I suggested the Calibre route but he's a little fixated on Kindle (as only someone who has never known the joy of Calibre and associated whatnots can be).

Sadly, I don't think there will be a satisfying conclusion for us (because it's ALL about us) because it's not a friend but someone on another...gasp...forum.

#13  gmw 11-25-2019, 06:43 PM
For something that personal (assuming his letters to his wife are actually personal, I suppose that need not be the case ) I would be very hesitant about putting it up on Amazon servers. But then people think I'm paranoid - I know this because I can hear them talking about me.

#14  skb 11-27-2019, 02:27 PM
Yes, I couldn't think of anything worse, to be honest. It's going to be a surprise (nice) for his wife. She might be less than happy to have the letters public (not so nice).

Oh well. I did my best (via all the replies here).

#15  Quoth 11-27-2019, 04:02 PM
Also I don't think you can block Amazon Preview?
They will not EVER remove a title. Just stop selling it. With one exception: Copyright violation. Prove it's been plagiarised and they'll remove the listing, otherwise it's there as long as Amazon.
Goodreads (owned by Amazon) is tricky too. ANYONE can add an Amazon title. If the cover is later changed at launch, even if it was only on pre-order with the cover uploaded to Goodreads they won't remove the invalid never sold cover. I think removing a title or author is hard too. It does now exist to feed Amazon Marketing.
Also Google Books, Scribed and other sites will copy the Amazon meta data and maybe the preview (which usually can be download). Some dubious sites will claim to offer the entire book free (though often it's the preview) or even sell it at a higher than Amazon price. Even paper copies that they have not ordered, I know because I do work for a small indy publisher and we know exactly how many POD paper copies are out and who the ebook is distributed to.

I'm repeating myself, but EVEN if you were publicly publishing, you do docx-> Calibre -> (epub, Dual mobi and azw3) and give "direct" to your trusted readers FIRST.
It's utter madness to use KDP (Amazon Publishing) for something for a friend / relative / partner, especially if personal. I'd not even use the Amazon Kindle "Cloud" email direct to kindle. I'd email to a PC, or send them a cheap SD card in the post with written instructions. You can even use an Android tablet or phone with an adapter (€2) and plug the kindle in and copy the ebook file off the Android to Kindle. Install a free filemanager if the phone/tablet hasn't got one. You can even use the same adapter for a USB stick or an SD card reader to copy a posted file on to the phone/tablet first. An iThing is a bit tricker.

If the wife has a homing pigeon, you can even send about about 200,000 ebooks on one microSDXC card. Or 4,000 on a cheapest ordinary microSD card.

Amazon is only for buying books publicly published that are not on Smashwords (no DRM there). Not for private stuff.

#16  Quoth 11-27-2019, 04:11 PM
I'm tempted now to re-read "pigeon post" by Arthur Ransom and buy a pair of pigeons. Dovecotes were so richer people could have winter meat. My wife says pigeon pie is much nicer than chicken, though I've never tried it.

Raising homing pigeons can't be harder than learning Computers, Wordprocessing, Calibre, 'The GIMP' for covers and how use KDP properly? Oh and the dreaded US Tax form or they'll withhold 30%, even though I'm not in USA, not a USA citzen and USA Corporations seem to pay zero tax anywhere. At least it's only once every 3 years and we do have a tax treaty, so they seem to accept the Irish Public Services number as a TIN.

#17  GlenBarrington 11-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Quote pdurrant
"Publish and Perish"?
Great title!

#18  Little.Egret 12-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Quote FrustratedReader
I'm tempted now to re-read "pigeon post" by Arthur Ransom and buy a pair of pigeons. Dovecotes were so richer people could have winter meat. My wife says pigeon pie is much nicer than chicken, though I've never tried it.

Raising homing pigeons can't be harder than learning Computers, Wordprocessing, Calibre, 'The GIMP' for covers and how use KDP properly? Oh and the dreaded US Tax form or they'll withhold 30%, even though I'm not in USA, not a USA citzen and USA Corporations seem to pay zero tax anywhere. At least it's only once every 3 years and we do have a tax treaty, so they seem to accept the Irish Public Services number as a TIN.
(Consider adding your location to your profile here).

Yes, anyone with US income is potentially liable for US tax even if not resident. Same for UK, Ireland and so forth.

Get a TIN or otherwise jump through the right hoops and you can avoid withholding.

#19  Hitch 12-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Quote pdurrant
"Publish and Perish"?
Publish and Perish, a novel by Sally Wright, was one of the very first eBooks I ever made. :-) She wrote the Ben Reeves mysteries, about an archivist--one of the 4 novels was Edgar-nominated.

Sally passed away, just this past year. Gosh, this makes me nostalgic and a bit sad. She was my first "real" author customer, trade-pubbed, award-nominated and all that. She was actually the person that caused Booknook.biz to exist; she called me out of the blue, asking if I could format an eBook for her (as she'd gotten the Ben Reeves books back from her trade publisher.) I was on the DorothyL mailing list with her and a few thousand other folks and I'd been posting about how it wasn't hard to make "Kindle ebooks" (back then with mobipocket creator, oy!), and she reached out to me.

Without her, I doubt I'd have ever gone commercial. Wow. Feels like so long ago and yesterday at the same time.

Hitch

#20  mitford13 12-03-2019, 10:50 PM
Quote Hitch
Publish and Perish, a novel by Sally Wright, was one of the very first eBooks I ever made. :-) She wrote the Ben Reeves mysteries, about an archivist--one of the 4 novels was Edgar-nominated.

Sally passed away, just this past year. Gosh, this makes me nostalgic and a bit sad. She was my first "real" author customer, trade-pubbed, award-nominated and all that. She was actually the person that caused Booknook.biz to exist; she called me out of the blue, asking if I could format an eBook for her (as she'd gotten the Ben Reeves books back from her trade publisher.) I was on the DorothyL mailing list with her and a few thousand other folks and I'd been posting about how it wasn't hard to make "Kindle ebooks" (back then with mobipocket creator, oy!), and she reached out to me.

Without her, I doubt I'd have ever gone commercial. Wow. Feels like so long ago and yesterday at the same time.

Hitch
Wow...just checked and I bought that one in Dec 2011, the month after I got my first Kindle. And it’s still unread!
Very sorry to hear that news. Time to shift my list...

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register