Mobileread
Recommend App that works well with Calibre?
#21  stumped 07-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Quote DoctorOhh
Moon+ may not be for you and your use case, but your above assumption seems wrong. I've used it for years and have never once used that feature. I use it on Android tablets, phones and e-ink ereaders. I choose it because it is customizable so I can view my book the way my old eyes prefer..
i agree completely ( except that I don't have it on anything of e-ink - was not aware of that option )
I worked through pretty much every paid (and thus advert free) e-reader in the google store. MOon is #1 for me

but i use it purely as a reader , not a library. I don't use its shelves, or auto import, or find free stuff online features

#22  DoctorOhh 07-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Quote stumped
( except that I don't have it on anything of e-ink - was not aware of that option )
Some eInk devices run the android OS. On these devices it works great.

Quote stumped
but i use it purely as a reader , not a library. I don't use its shelves, or auto import, or find free stuff online features
Same here, I use none of those features. I use Calibre Companion to manage my on device books and Moon+ Pro as the reader.

#23  Quoth 07-09-2019, 03:34 AM
Quote FrustratedReader
Can the turning page annotation be turned off in PocketBook? Also where does it save the annotations?
Yes, the animation can be changed or off. The GUI for all the settings is a bit weird, otherwise Pocketbook looks good for LCD based Android phones & Tablets.
I'm not particularly interested in customising / patching / alternate readers for my eink dedicated ereaders.

#24  Amon_Re 09-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Quote pazos
- Enable the installation of apps outside Google Play (aka: unkown sources)

Now you have three methods to install the application.

1. From your device: go to https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases and download the latest koreader-android-arm package from assets. Once it is downloaded just open the apk like any other download and the system will ask you for installation.

2. From your computer (needs adb, usb debugging and your phone connected through usb): go to https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases and download the latest koreader-android-arm package from assets. Once it is downloaded install it on your phone with
Code
adb install koreader-android-arm-whatever.apk
3. From your device: install Fdroid application. Once installed just search and install KOReader (this is always the latest stable release, but comes without translations!)

Recommended option is #1 since it allows you to update to latest nightlies at your will from inside the application and it is fully translated to a bunch of languages.

BTW, KOReader uses normal folders, not some sort of database. So If your calibre setup creates new folders under "books" you will see these folders on KOReader too.

Inside each folder you will see the ebooks. KOReader can be customized to show different information on file browser, see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/File-manager
An easier option for many people will be F-Droid.

#25  Amon_Re 09-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Quote stumped
Expecting someone to provide a free and advert free app is silly. What motivation is there for anyone to develop such an app.
Ask Linus Torvalds why he made linux

#26  Pajamaman 12-28-2019, 10:45 PM
I like Alreader. I prefer the older version without the sliding side menu.

I use koreader exclusively now.

#27  C-novice 12-31-2019, 07:15 PM
you can buy a one - off pre-paid virtual credit card from various sources if you don't want google to have any link to your actual bank/card accounts
. . . or just buy a Google Play card at a store. I must say +1 for Moon + Reader Pro. It is everything and more if you don't mind going through the options. It even sort books by series like Calibre and Yes, the dev responds to questions.

Good luck in whatever you chose FR.

#28  danskmacabre 01-06-2020, 07:07 PM
I've been using FBReader (Favorite book reader) on my Note 8 (android) Phone.
I have the paid version now, although the free version works fine.

This DOES have Calibre integration, which is nice.

I mainly like it for the simple controls and stability.

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register