Mobileread
Book Creation Tutorials
#61  HarryT 11-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Quote crutledge
Well,I went ahead to find out if catenating files would work. I going thru the HELP fileand I found "Join books" so I guess this is common. I joined two short novels - one with 4 chapters and the other with two and a couple of short storys. The file was loaded into BD and a normal formating routine was done.
Yes, that approach certainly works. I do it a slightly different way myself: I load the first book into BD in the usual way, but for 2nd (and subsequent) books I simply open the book in the web browser, select all the text and copy it to the clipboard, then simply "paste" it at the end of BD window.

It's one of those things that there's no "right" or "wrong" appraoch for; there's lots of ways to do it.

#62  JSWolf 11-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Quote HarryT
Yes, that approach certainly works. I do it a slightly different way myself: I load the first book into BD in the usual way, but for 2nd (and subsequent) books I simply open the book in the web browser, select all the text and copy it to the clipboard, then simply "paste" it at the end of BD window.
But don't forget to let people know that doing a paste bypasses Book Cleaner so all the fixes in Book Cleaner do not get applied.

#63  HarryT 11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Quote JSWolf
But don't forget to let people know that doing a paste bypasses Book Cleaner so all the fixes in Book Cleaner do not get applied.
That's true but, on the other hand, a lot of the stuff that's in the BC files is there to "put right" the reformatting that BD does when you load a file, such as breaking lines after a ".", even if that "." is part of an abbreviation like "Mr.". That reformatting isn't done when you paste text into BD, so those "fixes" are unnecessary.

The only thing that "breaks" when you paste into BD is that em-dashes get converted into hyphens, so before I paste, in the source material I replace em-dash by "--" and then, after pasting, replace "--" by em-dash in BD.

#64  JSWolf 11-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Quote HarryT
That's true but, on the other hand, a lot of the stuff that's in the BC files is there to "put right" the reformatting that BD does when you load a file, such as breaking lines after a ".", even if that "." is part of an abbreviation like "Mr.". That reformatting isn't done when you paste text into BD, so those "fixes" are unnecessary.

The only thing that "breaks" when you paste into BD is that em-dashes get converted into hyphens, so before I paste, in the source material I replace em-dash by "--" and then, after pasting, replace "--" by em-dash in BD.
I'll have to give it a try and see if anything actually breaks other then emdashes.

#65  HarryT 11-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Quote JSWolf
I'll have to give it a try and see if anything actually breaks other then emdashes.
I've done it a LOT, Jon - in fact with pretty much every one of the "omnibus" edition books that I've posted here. I really think that I'd have noticed if it did "break" anything significant.

#66  Patricia 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Quote HarryT
I've done it a LOT, Jon - in fact with pretty much every one of the "omnibus" edition books that I've posted here. I really think that I'd have noticed if it did "break" anything significant.
I agree with Harry. Pasting keeps everything except emdashes.

Sometimes when one puts a file into BD it becomes one long paragraph. If you can't find the stray tag then pasting is the solution. It has another occasional tendency to include later chapters twice (especially with PG australia sources). Again, pasting is a quick workaround.

But the Book Cleaner files are very useful when the source files behave themselves.

#67  HarryT 11-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Quote Patricia
Sometimes when one puts a file into BD it becomes one long paragraph. If you can't find the stray tag then pasting is the solution. It has another occasional tendency to include later chapters twice (especially with PG australia sources). Again, pasting is a quick workaround.
The trick with PG Australia HTML files is to open them in a text editor and delete the advertising script functions at the start and end of the file (everything between the "<script>" and "</script>" tags). They are what often confuse BD; it works fine if you get rid of them before opening the file.

#68  Hadrien 11-01-2008, 11:36 AM
New blog post about self-publishing on Feedbooks: http://blog.feedbooks.com/?p=106

There's now 2 different help pages:
- one dedicated to self-publishing: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/self-publishing
- another one about our publishing feature in general: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/publishing

I'll do another help page dedicated to public domain books next. Most of the tips concerning formatting (blank lines, emdashes etc...) will be very similar to what you usually discuss here with BD.

#69  Patricia 11-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Harry. I've tried that and you are right. It works for me 99% of the time. When it doesn't I just paste. But I'll try to be more precise with the deletion in future, so it will probably work all the time.

#70  crutledge 11-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Hello All,

While using BD I called up the Spell Checker. It reports no dictionary. However there is a file in BD folder entitled "custom dictionary.dat." This leads me to believe that a dictionary can be installed. By some means, it is entered into "custom dictionary.dat." and performs spell checking.

Does anyone have any information? I assume that a spelling dictionary is different from a normal (??) dictionary. If a dictionary is obtained, how is it activated for BD?

Thanks,
Charlie

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (7/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register