Mobileread
rbdigital - why BOTHER?
#1  GracieAllen 06-11-2020, 08:39 AM
A little testy this morning dealing with unnecessary stupidity...

A couple local libraries APPEAR to have shoved all their audiobooks off to rbdigital. Annoying, but ok.

Set up the account, logged in, found an audiobook. CHECKED to be sure it was available. CHECKED to be sure it was NON-PROTECTED.

Checked it out.

rbdigital poppped up the thing to tell it to OPen with "OCDMediaManager"... Fine. Told it OK.

INSTEAD of opening with the thing that normally lets me download the audiobook, it opened the "RBdigital Media Manager" to tell me about MICROSOFT no longer supporting protected RBdigital titles and a bunch of other blather.

rbdigital SAYS IT'S A NON-PROTECTED TITLE.

All I want to do is DOWNLOAD an audiobook, to my computer, so I can put it on a flash drive and listen to it in the car. I'm not a millenial, don't live with a cell phone stuck to my ear, and don't listen to audiobooks that way. And don't want to have to take attention from the road to screw around with a cell phone when driving.

So HOW do I get rbdigital to let me download the audiobook?

#2  JSWolf 06-11-2020, 09:08 AM
You can download the RBDIgital Program for Windows.

http://winnipegmb.rbdigital.com/DesktopAppInstaller/oneclickdigitalmedia/OneClickdigital%20Media%20Manager%20Installer.exe

However,the other option is to download the app for your phone and use your phone to play through the car stereo.

#3  infectious 06-25-2020, 10:57 AM
I only that thing it installed because some library audiobooks are delivered via it. Same with Overdrive. (you can copy/paste the mp3 files out if the due-date is looming and you've found yourself behind on listening - so I heard)

#4  SeaBookGuy 06-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Quote infectious
I only that thing it installed because some library audiobooks are delivered via it. Same with Overdrive. (you can copy/paste the mp3 files out if the due-date is looming and you've found yourself behind on listening - so I heard)
I was hesitant to mention that, but yeah, mp3 files don't have DRM protection.

#5  tubemonkey 06-25-2020, 11:59 AM
OverDrive was just sold by Rakuten (Kobo) to KKR (a private equity firm). KKR also owns RBmedia, the parent company of RBdigital. Now that they're all under the same umbrella, OD is acquiring RBdigital in order to merge all of the library assets into one entity. What happens next remains to be seen.

Please see this thread for additional discussion -- Overdrive to Acquire RBDigital.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register