Mobileread
Kobo Mini will not complete setup
#1  Gta 03-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Hi, My Kobo Mini was stuck on the loading screen, so after doing a manual reset, I can no longer complete the setup wirelessly or via my Mac.

The wireless seems to connect briefly but the gives me a network error.

The computer setup on the Kobo desktop app locks me into a Captcha loop although my account shows I’m already logged in.

Calibre sees but can’t send to the device and I’m stuck on the welcome screen.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks

#2  Elektron 03-04-2021, 10:37 AM
They dropped support for older protocols or something. Factory reset it and use a computer again. Maybe try reinstalling the Kobo app.

#3  Gta 03-04-2021, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yep, I suspect it was an unwanted automatic firmware upgrade as it was working fine before.

I've reset it several times and reloaded the Kobo desktop app a couple of times but no luck

#4  Elektron 03-04-2021, 12:41 PM
Quote Gta
I've reset it several times and reloaded the Kobo desktop app a couple of times but no luck
Don't reload it. Uninstall it and and install it again. If it still doesn't work, use another computer.

#5  Gta 03-04-2021, 01:31 PM
Thanks, I’ll try that!

#6  davidfor 03-04-2021, 09:58 PM
As @Elektron stated, Kobo had to remove support on their servers for older security protocols that are no longer considered to be secure. Unfortunately, the older firmware uses these protocols during the setup and do not work. You want firmware 3.19 or later.

At the same time, Kobo also dropped support for older devices. The Mini still gets some support, but, not firmware updates. The Kobo desktop application still has support for the Mini, which includes doing the setup. It will update the firmware to the latest official release, which is 3.19.5761-s. If you do not want to, or can't use the desktop application, you can install the firmware manually and the device should do the setup afterwards. You can also use later firmware. They still contain support for the Mini as it is probably more work to remove than it is worth it (and I suspect some Kobo developers still use them). Someone always tests the firmware and so far have always reported success.

#7  Gta 03-05-2021, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the info David. I am using Kobo desktop application on my Mac (not sure if this is the issue) but it puts me in a Captcha loop identifying motorcycles and such before kicking me out. I have deleted the desktop app and reinstalled it without success. I also have a Libra under the same account which makes me reluctant to create a new one.

The poster above suggested that I try another computer which I will do as soon as I have access. Thanks again, any more insights would be appreciated.

The reason I'd like to keep this one working is the 5" screen size, so I'm thinking my easiest option would be to buy another early gen model at the thrift store (easily available) and swap the sim cards if I can't get the desktop application to work.

#8  JSWolf 03-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Quote davidfor
As @Elektron stated, Kobo had to remove support on their servers for older security protocols that are no longer considered to be secure. Unfortunately, the older firmware uses these protocols during the setup and do not work. You want firmware 3.19 or later.

At the same time, Kobo also dropped support for older devices. The Mini still gets some support, but, not firmware updates. The Kobo desktop application still has support for the Mini, which includes doing the setup. It will update the firmware to the latest official release, which is 3.19.5761-s. If you do not want to, or can't use the desktop application, you can install the firmware manually and the device should do the setup afterwards. You can also use later firmware. They still contain support for the Mini as it is probably more work to remove than it is worth it (and I suspect some Kobo developers still use them). Someone always tests the firmware and so far have always reported success.
Doesn't the 4.26.16704 firmware work on the Mini?

#9  Gta 03-05-2021, 09:56 AM
Is there an easy way to tell? Unfortunately I'm locked at the Welcome to Kobo setup screen so I can't tell what the firmware was upgraded to. I don't have an SD card reader or access to a Windows machine at the moment, but I guess that will be my next steps.

It was working fine until two days ago when the unrequested update was installed.

#10  Elektron 03-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Quote JSWolf
Doesn't the 4.26.16704 firmware work on the Mini?
Yes, yes it does. You sideload the firmware file for the Glo onto the Mini.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register