Mobileread
Kobo x ray
#1  cliffwalker62 03-04-2021, 04:17 AM
I find the x ray feature on Kindle really useful.For me it’s the only advantage it has.Why can’t Kobo do anything similar?

#2  JSWolf 03-04-2021, 06:44 AM
Because not enough people have requested it and Kobo doesn't see it as useful. These are just guesses.

#3  davidfor 03-04-2021, 07:17 AM
Because it is a LOT of work. Which means it costs a lot and they probably could not justify it.

Kobo did have something similar, called "BtB" if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, they didn't have it for many books, and it only lasted a year or so. The effort required to make it useful has to be big. I don't know how Amazon handless it. Or do they just do it for the very popular books and no one comments on it for everything else.

#4  shalym 03-04-2021, 08:07 AM
Quote davidfor
Because it is a LOT of work. Which means it costs a lot and they probably could not justify it.

Kobo did have something similar, called "BtB" if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, they didn't have it for many books, and it only lasted a year or so. The effort required to make it useful has to be big. I don't know how Amazon handless it. Or do they just do it for the very popular books and no one comments on it for everything else.
I just checked, and 7 out of the last 10 books I bought from Amazon had X-Ray enabled. 2 of the 3 that didn't were collections of short stories from long dead authors, and the third was a free self published book.

Note that the books I buy are not generally best sellers, they are a combination of mysteries, science fiction, and biographies.

Shari

#5  Quoth 03-04-2021, 08:08 AM
Also some people find the Kindle Xray is inaccurate and a gimmick.

We don't bother with it on books we publish on Amazon.

#6  cliffwalker62 03-04-2021, 03:31 PM
I’m reading a book on my voyage because it has X ray.I don’t see it as a gimmick.Still a big Kobo fan though.

#7  JSWolf 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM
I like X-ray for Amazon Prime. But I never once wanted it for a book.

#8  Almamida 03-04-2021, 04:34 PM
I love it for dense book with lot of characters, like the Game of Thrones books.

#9  PeterT 03-04-2021, 08:23 PM
Quote Almamida
I love it for dense book with lot of characters, like the Game of Thrones books.
I thought I'd seen posts recently from someone who had a custom dictionary for a series, which might serve a similar purpose to x Ray

#10  davidfor 03-04-2021, 09:20 PM
Quote shalym
I just checked, and 7 out of the last 10 books I bought from Amazon had X-Ray enabled. 2 of the 3 that didn't were collections of short stories from long dead authors, and the third was a free self published book.

Note that the books I buy are not generally best sellers, they are a combination of mysteries, science fiction, and biographies.
In that case, is there any indication of who does the work? That, and @Quoth's comment, suggests it is the publisher or author. And the accuracy is the other issue. I haven't tried it. My comments are more based on what I saw with Kobo's version and what I see discussed a little with the X-Ray plugin for calibre.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register