Mobileread
Help! Reading slump
#1  Pompom 02-23-2021, 05:34 AM
Hi!
I have a reading slump. I used to read like five-six books a month or even more if time allowed me but recently I hit the wall. I got totally stuck on one of Kristin Hannah's books (sorry!), I finished it but it was a struggle and I hit a slump since then. What can I do? Can you recommend something else, something to break the terrible slump? Should I get out of my comfort zone and try to read something totally different than I used to? How do you deal with the reading slump?

#2  gunbad 02-23-2021, 06:01 AM
I feel your pain! I know the feeling well. The way I get past that wall is switching to short stories. There's something about nice quick reads that helps me get over my slump.

#3  Victoria 02-23-2021, 11:45 AM
I can relate too. We probably each have to find our own path out, but rereading an old favourite has worked for me. It’s pleasant but not very demanding. I also try to give myself some space, rather than force it.

You mention making yourself finish a book you didn’t enjoy. I used to do that too, but I’ve decided that it’s better to move on. If you’re reading for pleasure, there’s no sin in giving up on a book that’s become a grind.

Good luck!

#4  SeaBookGuy 02-23-2021, 02:38 PM
Is there a new(er) book out by an author you know you enjoy?

#5  kyrilson 02-23-2021, 05:55 PM
Quote Pompom
Hi!
I have a reading slump. I used to read like five-six books a month or even more if time allowed me but recently I hit the wall. I got totally stuck on one of Kristin Hannah's books (sorry!), I finished it but it was a struggle and I hit a slump since then. What can I do? Can you recommend something else, something to break the terrible slump? Should I get out of my comfort zone and try to read something totally different than I used to? How do you deal with the reading slump?
I will often read a few short stories, or reread a couple of old favorite books. That usually gets me going again. Or pick up a couple of magazines in a topic you're interested in, and read those for a few days. It's not a race, man. Just relax and enjoy things. You'll get back around to reading again at your own pace. I mean, it's not like there's a rule that you must read 6 books every month, right?

#6  drofgnal 02-24-2021, 05:14 AM
I can relate to that too but in a different way. I can get so enthralled with a book that nothing else seems to strike my fancy. It takes a bit to get interested in something else as I don't believe anything else will suffice.

Which Kristin Hannah book? Nightingale was one of her books I found enthralling. It was hard to put down. I didn't have to slog through it.

#7  JSWolf 02-24-2021, 08:40 AM
When in a reading slump, I find it helps to find a book you want to read that's an easy read and not too long.

Another possible solution is to try an audiobook.

#8  Catlady 02-24-2021, 09:27 AM
Why do you need to get out of it? If you don't feel like reading, don't read.

#9  ekbell 02-24-2021, 11:20 AM
When I feel like reading but can't settle down to anything in particular, I'll use search to narrow the available books to a subset that I might want to read and then use the Find Random Book option on the main menu of my Calibre Companion app and read a chapter of whatever book pops up. If I don't feel like continuing that book I'll pick another random book until I settle on a book I do want to read. On particularly restless days where I want to feel like I've finished something, I'll stick to anthologies.

This can also be done with the Pick a random book option in the Calibre Library menu.

#10  4691mls 03-01-2021, 10:34 AM
Quote Catlady
Why do you need to get out of it? If you don't feel like reading, don't read.
This! Maybe you just need a break. Nothing wrong with that.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register