Mobileread
Calibre update 5.10 rejected by Fsecure (anti virus)
#1  Odyssee 01-22-2021, 07:25 AM
Fsecure detects a Trojan virus in the calibre.exe of the 5.10 upgrade. I had to reinstall the 5.90 version which is okay. Should I wait until the next upgrade or is there something I can do. I haven't discovered a way - yet - to tell Fsecure that it is okay.

#2  kovidgoyal 01-22-2021, 07:35 AM
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#my-antivirus-program-claims-calibre-is-a-virus-trojan

#3  JSWolf 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM
Quote Odyssee
Fsecure detects a Trojan virus in the calibre.exe of the 5.10 upgrade. I had to reinstall the 5.90 version which is okay. Should I wait until the next upgrade or is there something I can do. I haven't discovered a way - yet - to tell Fsecure that it is okay.
The solution is very simple. Delete Fsecure because it's garbage. Any AV that thinks Calibre is a threat is garbage. Just use Windows Security as it works well and does not think Calibre is a problem.

#4  soulwolf 01-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Love Calibre, however last 2 updates, 5.9 and 5.10, 64-bit version, initial fail to install, and back out. 2d attempt to install appears to complete, but when program loads. it still shows version as 5.7.1 (which does not even show up on "what's New page), and shows that 5.9 update is available. Any suggestions??

#5  soulwolf 01-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Follow up to failure to install. I deleted both 64-bit and 32-bit versions, and then re-installed version 5.10, easily. It appears that icon was defaulting to 32-bit version, and not loading 64-bit version. Do not need 32-bit version, even though manual/d/l instructions say they can be installed side-by-side. On my system, 64-bit would not run while 32-bit version was first installed, or possibly, even if 32-bit installed at all. Upgraded perfectly now. Hope this helps anyone else that may run into same problem.

#6  DNSB 01-22-2021, 11:49 AM
Quote Odyssee
I haven't discovered a way - yet - to tell Fsecure that it is okay.
A Google search on "F-Secure excluding file" came up with Exclude files or folders from scanning.

#7  JSWolf 01-22-2021, 03:59 PM
Quote DNSB
A Google search on "F-Secure excluding file" came up with Exclude files or folders from scanning.
But you don't want Calibre excluded in case it does somehow become infected. You want an AV that doesn't false positive Calibre.

#8  ownedbycats 01-22-2021, 04:30 PM
If you're worried about the files on the Calibre server being tampered, you can check them against their signatures.

#9  JSWolf 01-23-2021, 11:28 AM
Quote ownedbycats
If you're worried about the files on the Calibre server being tampered, you can check them against their signatures.
Why bother when a decent AV can check for you? Fsecure is not it.

#10  JSWolf 01-23-2021, 11:29 AM
Quote Odyssee
Have a look at the following thread to see that FSecure is not the only garbage AV out there and that you really need to dump your AV when you find it doesn't work and get one that does.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336777

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register