Mobileread
E-Book (Epub 3) from a story without chapters
#1  netsrak 01-07-2021, 07:42 PM
There is no NCX any more in Epub 3 (except as fallback for older devices), instead there has to be a table of contents in xhtml-format now.
I often convert short stories without chapters into e-books, so they wouldn't need a TOC — there's a title page, the story and that's it. I try to avoid unnecessary files, if possible.

My first idea was to use the title page as TOC, because what constitutes the story is already there — the title. So i assigned the nav-property to the title (page). It worked, Sigil and Epubcheck found no errors.

Is there any "official" solution for one-text-books like that?
How would you do that?

#2  DNSB 01-07-2021, 11:21 PM
Quote netsrak
There is no NCX any more in Epub 3 (except as fallback for older devices), instead there has to be a table of contents in xhtml-format now.
I often convert short stories without chapters into e-books, so they wouldn't need a TOC — there's a title page, the story and that's it. I try to avoid unnecessary files, if possible.

My first idea was to use the title page as TOC, because what constitutes the story is already there — the title. So i assigned the nav-property to the title (page). It worked, Sigil and Epubcheck found no errors.

Is there any "official" solution for one-text-books like that?
How would you do that?
Your solution will break on my Kobo reading it as an epub3 (much like an epub2 with no toc.ncx). I would suggest just leaving the nav.xhtml file in place. It's not like it takes up all that much space.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register