Mobileread
Is it possible to install a custom dictionary in Kindle for PC?
#1  itfs 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM
I have created some custom dictionaries for my Paperwhite. They work perfectly. However, when I add them to Kindle for PC, they just appear as regular e-books and I can not find them among the available dictionaries. How can I fix this?

#2  HarryT 07-06-2016, 03:10 PM
I don't believe K4PC does support custom dictionaries, unfortunately.

#3  shamanNS 07-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Renaming custom dictionary to filename of downloaded build-in/free download dictionaries used to work on Kindle for Android. Maybe try that?

#4  tomsem 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM
You may be able to open and search third party dictionaries, but they won't function for direct lookup from another book. That said, you are on a PC: you can look things up with browser or whatever.

#5  Doitsu 07-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Quote shamanNS
Renaming custom dictionary to filename of downloaded build-in/free download dictionaries used to work on Kindle for Android. Maybe try that?
Unfortunately, that trick doesn't work with the Kindle for PC app, you'll also have to change/add the ASIN number(s).

@itfs:

You can override any of the existing default dictionaries with your own dictionary.

1. Download Java Mobi Metadata Editor and open the dictionary that you want to replace to find out its ASIN number. (It's usually the first part of the file name.) Let's assume you want to replace the NOA English dictionary. (It's ASIN number is B003ODIZL6.)

2. Open your custom dictionary with Java Mobi Metadata Editor, click the plus sign, select Type 113 and enter B003ODIZL6; enter the same value for Type 504.

3. Save the updated dictionary and rename it to B003ODIZL6_EBOK.azw. Locate the existing NOA English dictionary in the My Kindle Documents folder and delete it, including the .phl and .mbp files.

4. Copy your dictionary to the My Kindle Documents folder.

The next time you select the NOA English dictionary, you should get the definitions from your dictionary.

#6  itfs 07-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Quote Doitsu
Unfortunately, that trick doesn't work with the Kindle for PC app, you'll also have to change/add the ASIN number(s).

@itfs:

You can override any of the existing default dictionaries with your own dictionary.

1. Download Java Mobi Metadata Editor and open the dictionary that you want to replace to find out its ASIN number. (It's usually the first part of the file name.) Let's assume you want to replace the NOA English dictionary. (It's ASIN number is B003ODIZL6.)

2. Open your custom dictionary with Java Mobi Metadata Editor, click the plus sign, select Type 113 and enter B003ODIZL6; enter the same value for Type 504.

3. Save the updated dictionary and rename it to B003ODIZL6_EBOK.azw. Locate the existing NOA English dictionary in the My Kindle Documents folder and delete it, including the .phl and .mbp files.

4. Copy your dictionary to the My Kindle Documents folder.

The next time you select the NOA English dictionary, you should get the definitions from your dictionary.
Great! It works perfectly!
I'm updating my custom dictionary often. Is there a way to add the ASIN number in the opf file?

#7  Doitsu 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Quote itfs
Great! It works perfectly!
I'm updating my custom dictionary often. Is there a way to add the ASIN number in the opf file?
If you're familiar with batch files/shell scripts and Python you might be able to use KevinH's dualmetafix.py script.

#8  itfs 07-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Quote Doitsu
If you're familiar with batch files/shell scripts and Python you might be able to use KevinH's dualmetafix.py script.
Thank you! I'll give it a try :-)

#9  3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 07-28-2018, 08:34 PM
The workaround via "Java Mobi Metadata Editor" still works today, thanks!

Was confused whether it does as I apparently did not follow the post correctly at first.

#10  Kindle101 01-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Quote 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
The workaround via "Java Mobi Metadata Editor" still works today, thanks!

Was confused whether it does as I apparently did not follow the post correctly at first.
Hi everyone,

I tried following the steps posted by Doitsu and it is not working for me.

In my case, I picked the German pre-selected dictionary to replace with my Collins dictionary file. Even though I follow the steps, Kindle attempts to download the German dictionary until it reaches 91% and then it stalls (because my file already exists).

My file is a valid dictionary file. The only step I couldn't follow is to delete the .mbp file as there are no .mbp files! I did delete the relevant .azw and .phl files.

Do you have any tips for me please?!!!

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register