Mobileread
Ebook reader that is good for manga
#21  ilovejedd 10-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Quote kinda_confused
Has something changed in the past year? I am looking to get my first e-ink device and I'm wondering if I'm on the right track. I'm split between Kobo Libra and Kobo Forma. The Onyx Boox devices look great, but kinda pricy for something I'm gonna use solely for reading manga in bed before going to sleep.
I'm leaning more towards the Libra, since it's newer and a lot cheaper. 6" is a no go, 8" is definitely good, but what about 7" - kinda gray area (since I have no experience with e-readers other than my phone). Any suggestions? Any hidden pros of one over the other (Libra/Forma)?
How good is your near vision? I can read most manga perfectly fine on 6" readers but I reckon going at least 7" would be more comfortable for most.

On my iPads, I read manga in two page spread mode (yes, even on the 7.9" mini).
Personally, I don't like reading manga in portrait on 9.7"+ iPads (or 2-page mode on 12.9"). A lot of manga don't have particularly high resolutions and artifacts become very obvious on the larger displays.

Consider this: The Kindle DX has a resolution of 824x1200 while the 6" Clara HD has 1072x1448 and the 7" Libra H2O 1264x1680. Despite the smaller display sizes, these devices are capable of displaying greater detail than the DX (assuming the images have high enough resolution) so reading comfort is just a matter of eyesight.

How much do you zoom in when you read on you phone? Most new phones have 2:1 aspect ratio so you're getting large margins when reading manga full page. My brother has a 6.1" iPhone XR and manga's displayed bigger on my 6" Paperwhite than on his phone.

#22  ilovejedd 10-12-2020, 08:53 PM
Here's some side by side pics. Crappy photo but they're all legible in person.

left-to-right:
6.1" iPhone XR, 6" Kindle Paperwhite 4, 7" Kobo Libra H2O, 9.7" iPad
76FBE31B-0B35-4A49-9EF0-00E6618C2C1C.jpeg 

#23  tinkywinky666 10-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Hi,

Been browsing e-reader field for few years (yeah no gold) and I can say one thing for sure. It's up to Your eye so go to the store and look at 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 hah even 13 inches screens. That's all.

I find Kobo Forma screen much clearer/detail wise (just look at the cloud on the upper right) than Libra but still considering second one (color wise mostly? haha). Not sure if it is a matter of 300 ratio only though so forgive me noob talk.

https://ibb.co/311QSZ5

One thing that frustrates me in those 2 are white margins and sides as if cut. Also it isn't original manga page size right??????

Imo the old Onyx Boox i86 screen was perfect for manga size wise but we all know how bad it performed hardware wise.

#24  tinkywinky666 10-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Edit button went away so...one one thing:

Please look at my link and answer if this Kobo aura one manga edition will have a screen same as Libra or Forma on the right (cloud example based) coz I rly like Forma picture quality/look but dislike size+buttons so Aura could be imo nice option for me.

Cherio

#25  tinkywinky666 10-13-2020, 01:25 PM
This is sick imo, no edit button mate after a while omg...

If Aura one doesn't have the same screen in terms of colors/details as shown in picture above then I found these:

boox nova 1 or PRO (2 got the same panel etc. so no need right?)
boox Poke2
boox poke pro

Some of them MUST look as same as Forma right -_-

#26  ilovejedd 10-13-2020, 01:36 PM
I think manga are more 2:3 so you get the side margins on ereaders that are 3:4. Aura One is 7.8" 300 ppi so it should be very similar to the Forma.

#27  tinkywinky666 10-13-2020, 02:42 PM
Quote ilovejedd
I think manga are more 2:3 so you get the side margins on ereaders that are 3:4. Aura One is 7.8" 300 ppi so it should be very similar to the Forma.
Yes but look at Libra at the photo provided and then Forma - difference in quality i.e. clouds is hugeee. Are U sure it will be a match in aura one?
I look for e-reader without this buttons but picture must be same not similar (or better? haha) as Forma

But if Aura one doesn't have the same screen in terms of colors/details as shown in picture above then I found these: boox nova 1 or PRO (2 got the same panel etc. so no need right?).

Boox Poke2 instead of boox poke pro as someone rmnded because its newer?

Some of them MUST look as same as Forma right -_-

#28  ilovejedd 10-13-2020, 03:19 PM
Quote tinkywinky666
Yes but look at Libra at the photo provided and then Forma - difference in quality i.e. clouds is hugeee. Are U sure it will be a match in aura one?
I look for e-reader without this buttons but picture must be same not similar (or better? haha) as Forma
The clouds look the same to me. For me, it's the roof shingles that look much better on the Forma.

Libra H2O:
7.0" 300 PPI E Ink Carta display, 1264 × 1680 resolution (2.12 million pixels)

Forma:
8.0" 300 PPI E Ink Carta display, 1440 × 1920 resolution (2.76 million pixels)

Aura One:
7.8” 300 PPI E Ink Carta display, 1404 x 1872 resolution (2.63 million pixels)

The Aura One is ever so slightly smaller than the Forma ergo, slightly lower resolution. It's going to be extremely close to the Forma, though. We're talking a reduction of less than 36 pixels in width and 48 pixels in height.

The Forma's display isn't really any more special than the Libra H2O's display. It's just bigger at same pixel density hence higher res.

#29  tinkywinky666 10-14-2020, 02:42 PM
Quote ilovejedd
The clouds look the same to me. For me, it's the roof shingles that look much better on the Forma.

Libra H2O:
7.0" 300 PPI E Ink Carta display, 1264 × 1680 resolution (2.12 million pixels)

Forma:
8.0" 300 PPI E Ink Carta display, 1440 × 1920 resolution (2.76 million pixels)

Aura One:
7.8” 300 PPI E Ink Carta display, 1404 x 1872 resolution (2.63 million pixels)

The Aura One is ever so slightly smaller than the Forma ergo, slightly lower resolution. It's going to be extremely close to the Forma, though. We're talking a reduction of less than 36 pixels in width and 48 pixels in height.

The Forma's display isn't really any more special than the Libra H2O's display. It's just bigger at same pixel density hence higher res.
Thanks for the replay. Yes, roof shingles (new word learned!), other stuff i.e. guardrail (another one woah! me is from Polska) are more detailed.
If You look closer at clouds, while detail-wise both seems to be the same, they're brighter/whiter? so is black background around it in FORMA.

Been digging the resolution in fews:
kobo libra
kobo aura one manga edition yet see below
onyx boox pro
onyx nova 1 , 2

And gotta say, none is same as FORMA but those dev. specs with underline should closely resemble it.

But is the resolution the true factor behind clouds being brighter picture/whiter? (detail wise surely) - because I'm after that.
However Goodereader said that Forma got same technology implemented as Aura one, while having better resolution so maybe it's because of that.
Now You're saying bout PIXEL DENSITY (36x48 how big is it picture wise I'm noob haha) - dunno bout ONYX DEVIES tho.
Forth factor maybe lighting options...onyx vs kobo wise as we know Libra & Forma got same lighting but how bout onyx - will it differ tho hmmm

ps. GRAY SCALE? Onyx devices are 16 whatever it means, wonder how is for Kobo....

So If I were to choose I would pick up Onyx Kon - Tiki due to microphone (i.e. to record stuff or check pronunciation / dictionaries etc.)
2. No need for microphone? Nova 1 or still Kobo Aura One manga ed? (2016 & got problems with zooming n stuff so I wonder)
3. Need for a stylus? Nova 2

#30  kinda_confused 10-14-2020, 03:16 PM
Thank you everyone for contributing!!!
So many replies, let's go...

Quote Dr. Drib
You may wish to wait for some of the color devices that are starting to emerge. (A few are already available.)
Thanks for the info! For comic books and graphic novels it should be the way to go, but I want only manga.

Quote salamanderjuice
I would go with a 7.8" or 8" reader. It's almost exactly the same size as a typical tankoban volume. 6" is doable, but some text can be miniscule. The Oynx running Android allows it to run Tachiyomi which is great if you use any scanlation sites at all.

Another option to the Oynx is the Likebook Mars. You lose Wacom Pen support, older version of Android and a little slower but it is cheaper.

Otherwise I'd go with a Kobo Forma or a used Kobo Aura One if you can find it. Kindles don't do .cbz or .cbr out of the box.
Onyx is too expensive for me. Likebook me no like. There go the Android ereaders... too bad for Tachiyomi, would've been nice to have it, but in the end I should be able to manage with only sideloading just fine.

Quote DNSB
Adding to a year old thread isn't close to necroposting compared to some of the examples I've seen.

As for my personal suggestions, my daughter is currently using her Libra for Japanese manga but she has the advantage of young eyes. The few that she has in colour, she uses her iPad for. My personal ereader is the Forma but I mostly reading epub text fiction.

The firmware for the Forma and Libra are the same. In the Kobo thread, there is a project called the Ultimate Manga Reader (hubris anyone?).
My eyesight is not that bad, but I am staring at a pc screen for the better part of my day, and that takes it's toll... but since I don't plan on reading anything other than manga (which is mostly images and not so much text compared to actual books), I hope I will be fine.

Quote ratinox
As a manga reader, Kobo Forma or Aura ONE are about as small as I would recommend for manga. In addition to physical size you want good contrast and relatively high dot pitch. Here's my comparison of my Kindle DX and my Forma for reference:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=32

I'm not a fan of the Android readers. They run very obsolete verisons of the OS with all of the problems this entails. If you're thinking about a larger device then get an iPad.
Another vote for Kobo then, thank you! I'd go for Forma if I could find it cheap, otherwise I think the Libra would also do.

Quote ilovejedd
How good is your near vision?
How much do you zoom in when you read on you phone? Most new phones have 2:1 aspect ratio so you're getting large margins when reading manga full page. My brother has a 6.1" iPhone XR and manga's displayed bigger on my 6" Paperwhite than on his phone.
Yes, my vision... it's not that bad, probably 6" should suffice, but at the same time my eyes are constantly under stress and I'd like to go easy on them (while on a budget), so I'd go for a 7+ inch display. My phone is also 2:1, but I rarely think about the parts that get cut off, that's why I thought I would need something more than 6".

Quote ilovejedd
Here's some side by side pics. Crappy photo but they're all legible in person.

left-to-right:
6.1" iPhone XR, 6" Kindle Paperwhite 4, 7" Kobo Libra H2O, 9.7" iPad
A great comparison, thank you! Another point for the Libra (in my eyes at least). Actually I am surprised by the iPad - it seems pretty nice, but it's LED/LCD (right?), and I specifically want e-ink since it's easier on the eyes at night.

Quote tinkywinky666
Hi,

Been browsing e-reader field for few years (yeah no gold) and I can say one thing for sure. It's up to Your eye so go to the store and look at 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 hah even 13 inches screens. That's all.

I find Kobo Forma screen much clearer/detail wise (just look at the cloud on the upper right) than Libra but still considering second one (color wise mostly? haha). Not sure if it is a matter of 300 ratio only though so forgive me noob talk.

https://ibb.co/311QSZ5

One thing that frustrates me in those 2 are white margins and sides as if cut. Also it isn't original manga page size right??????

Imo the old Onyx Boox i86 screen was perfect for manga size wise but we all know how bad it performed hardware wise.
Strange, the image on the Forma definitely looks sharper, I did not expect that... Also you are right, I should see some readers IRL before deciding.

Quote tinkywinky666
This is sick imo, no edit button mate after a while omg...
Yup, I noticed it too, wasn't sure if it's just me or not...

Quote ilovejedd
That's what got me leaning more towards the Libra, but looking at @tinkywinky666's image, I'm thinking there should be a difference (or a catch!)... but still I'll probably suck it up and get the Libra.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register