Mobileread
Max 3 Rooted
#1  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 07:37 AM
**I am not responsible for any damage to your device, and I am sure this probably voids your warranty**

** UPDATE: ive updated the OP to better reflect the current state of our devices (December 2020), which is in a much more stable state now. ive also updated flash instructions. If you are reading the thread to get info, the first few pages of the thread are mostly old and irrelevant. With some help from CaptainThrowback on #twrp IRC, I was able to build a version of TWRP on our device. Let me know if you experience any issues **

Steps to install:
1) Update your device to latest firmware via OTA update
2) Download magisk (from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk) and TWRP (from my AndroidFileHost link below)
3) make sure you have "adb" and "fastboot" installed on your computer, use google if you don't know
4) enable usb debugging on your device, plug it into your computer, and run "adb reboot bootloader" from the command line
4) ensure your bootloader is unlocked ("fastboot flashing unlock")
5) flash twrp ("fastboot flash recovery twrp.img") and reboot to system
6) Boot into recovery (instructions below) and flash magisk.zip

AndroidFileHost: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=307038

To boot into recovery mode:
Turn your device completely off (make sure your not plugged in to charger), then hold the home button, then while holding the home button plug your device into charger... wait until you see splash screen and release home button

Taking OTA's:
1) you should be able to take OTA via TWRP, just use adb to set the correct fingerprint via "resetprop ro.build.fingerprint *proper fingerprint*" inside TWRP and then flash the update.zip in /data/local/assets

*** We now have TWRP and any bootloop issues you run into are recoverable through TWRP, just use google ***

#2  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 08:11 AM
update latest Magisk: https://anonfiles.com/l703G962ne/magisk_patched_img

#3  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 08:26 AM
Found a fix that now you can have all your apps in split screen!

use the magisk module "QuickSwitch", power off, boot back into rooted system (with fastboot command), download and install the launcher "pixel launcher", dont switch to it yet, open the QuckSwitch App, set the provider to Pixel Launher. do the reboot procedure again... now set your launcher to Pixel launcher and youre all set!

enjoy your desktop-like experience!

#4  newnu 09-25-2019, 03:58 PM
In an ideal world, I'd like to install pure unadulterated Android 9 or even Android 10 on the Max 3. And have support for monitor mode, which I assume requires an app as well as a driver for the HDMI input chip.

#5  whopper 09-25-2019, 05:09 PM
uhmm I need to try that multi window mode in max 2, maybe trying to migrate from supersu to magisk

#6  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 06:32 PM
Quote whopper
uhmm I need to try that multi window mode in max 2, maybe trying to migrate from supersu to magisk
sorry, but it requires android pie

#7  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Quote newnu
In an ideal world, I'd like to install pure unadulterated Android 9 or even Android 10 on the Max 3. And have support for monitor mode, which I assume requires an app as well as a driver for the HDMI input chip.
yes, I agree, I was fooled by the marketing scheme saying there was android pie, because this is too crippled to be called that. I would have returned it if I didnt find root. Nice piece of hardware, not sure why they are trying so hard to stop us from enjoying it!

#8  newnu 09-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Quote diabl0w
yes, I agree, I was fooled by the marketing scheme saying there was android pie, because this is too crippled to be called that.
Just curious have you ever tried to cross compile the AOSP source code? I downloaded it a while back but I didn't have the time to look into building it.

#9  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 10:29 PM
Quote newnu
Just curious have you ever tried to cross compile the AOSP source code? I downloaded it a while back but I didn't have the time to look into building it.
Do you have a copy of the Max3 source code? If not, thats next to impossible from what I understand.

Youre best bet is pulling the system.img and reverse engineering the system files and the apk's with apktool. Then you can flash the new system.img

Keep in mind im not really a developer or programmer, I just like to tinker with my devices

#10  newnu 09-25-2019, 10:51 PM
Quote diabl0w
Do you have a copy of the Max3 source code?
They have a bunch of code on Github: https://github.com/onyx-intl
but a lot of it is pretty old and I don't see anything that pertains to the Max3.

Yes I've done a lot of programming but Android is new to me. I've only written C++ code for Android so far.

Next »  Last »  (1/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register