Mobileread
Be sure to update your Kobo Arc by 2019-02-28 or else
#11  teija 04-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Quote DevinJ
Dang. I just fired up the arc 7 and decided to do a factory reset without seeing the update. I'm stuck in the setup stage and can't get out.

I have attempted to update via USB with not much success as the drivers that allow the Kobo to be seen seem to be missing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd hate to have to pitch the tablet because of this.
The drivers on your PC are missing? I am not too computer-wise but doesn't that mean you need the PC drivers, and that this is not an issue with the Arc/tablet itself?

#12  kici 07-25-2019, 11:37 AM
Quote slate
We have important news for you regarding your Kobo Arc tablet.

Your Kobo Arc tablet requires a mandatory software update by February 28, 2019. To stay aligned with global internet security standards, we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo Arc tablet models. Without this update, your Kobo Arc tablet will no longer be able to exit the setup process after a factory reset is performed.

Rest assured that no items in your Kobo library will be affected; you will continue to have access to all reading material you have purchased or downloaded from Rakuten Kobo.

How to update your tablet's software
Follow the prompts on your Kobo Arc to install the update before February 28. If you are unable to do this before February 28, you will need to install it manually by following these steps:

1.Open the Settings app.
2.Tap 'About Kobo Arc' at the bottom of the Settings list.
3.Tap 'System updates'.
4.You should see a 'Check for updates' message.
5.Tap 'Check Now' and follow further instructions.

Read with Kobo with the free Kobo App
You can download the free Kobo App available for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, and read with Kobo on a device you already own.

If you have any questions or concerns about this message, please contact Kobo Customer Care.

Last update was over 4 years ago. They couldn't even be bothered to update the revision number on this one.

Code
FILENAME : zeus-ota-781.zip
BYTES : 409497457
SHA1 : e780bfa1995207914e06b1c8e53e4529a4b53bc7
BUILD : kobo/zeus/zeus:4.1.1/JRO03L/781:user/release-keys
TIMESTAMP: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 14:59:40 GMT
Soooo,, I am late to the party, does this mean now my Kobo is toast?

I cannot get past that verification part.... is there anyway to get a firmware and manually flush it to get it working again? or a custom firmware?

Any help so I don't have to toss it out would be appreciated,

Thanks

#13  sqdancer 07-26-2019, 03:44 AM
Quote kici
Soooo,, I am late to the party, does this mean now my Kobo is toast?

I cannot get past that verification part.... is there anyway to get a firmware and manually flush it to get it working again? or a custom firmware?

Any help so I don't have to toss it out would be appreciated,

Thanks
Try the instructions here for manually updating via Windows or Mac, being sure to use the correct file for your device.

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019865014-Manually-update-your-Kobo-Arc-software

Good luck!

#14  kici 08-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Quote sqdancer
Try the instructions here for manually updating via Windows or Mac, being sure to use the correct file for your device.

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019865014-Manually-update-your-Kobo-Arc-software

Good luck!
I've tried that,

Got really frustrated that I tried all of the links just in case I was wrong about model,

However all of them give me the same error:

It starts the update for sometime and then says:

Unable To Start

Something went wrong while starting your Kobo eReader.
Please restart by pressing the On/Off button, and then update your Kobo software.

and then it boots into the previous screen where it asks me to login which I cannot due to the servers being down.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the link bytheway

#15  teija 08-05-2019, 02:58 PM
So to confirm, you are doing this while the device is connected to your PC/Mac?

#16  kici 08-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Quote teija
So to confirm, you are doing this while the device is connected to your PC/Mac?
First I move the update.zip file, the the Kobo, then I unplug as per instructions and reboot the Kobo. It starts the update and then that is where I end up

#17  teija 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM
I can't recall exactly but I *think* I had to do my updating using the Kobo desktop application. I could be wrong though, and am hoping someone else can weigh in on this..?

#18  kici 08-06-2019, 03:01 PM
I tried but did not get any such options via the desktop app. Also, the instructions on their website actually state put the downloaded file (renamed to update.zip) into the Kobo, via UBS while connected to the PC, then disconnect and reboot...

#19  teija 08-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Ok, well if it has just been reset/updated I would imagine you don’t have a Wifi connection. Just before the point it asks you to log in, have you tried to reconnect to the computer with the Kobo desktop application already running?

#20  kici 08-08-2019, 09:08 AM
It does connect to wifi, the problem is it cannot go past the login screen due to the firmware update they have.

The one I am trying to get, I also contacted kobo support, they created a ticket and have still not gotten back to me... lol

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register