Mobileread
jefftheworld's Kobo Vox Guides
#11  davidkettle 11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but why would the average user want to root their Vox? If they're not careful or don't know what they're doing, they might screw things up, no? Like logging into Windows or Linux as 'admin' or 'root'. What benefits are there to doing that?

Quote jefftheworld
I'm going to use this thread to put up various guides on customizing your Kobo Vox. I'll rank them in two areas; expertise required and my opinion on how vital it is to making the Vox better)

Each tutorial will list all the tools you need and tell you if you need to complete another one or more of the other tutorials first. I will use as many screenshots as I can and try to make it as simple as possible.

Keep coming back here as I'll be adding content as much as I can!

Table of Contents:

1. Rooting your Vox (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: critical)
2. Unrooting your Vox (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: ???)

Coming soon:

3. Removing unwanted apps manually (Expersise: Intermediate, Importance: moderate)
4. Removing unwanted apps automatically (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: moderate)

#12  Psyke 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote davidkettle
Pardon my ignorance, but why would the average user want to root their Vox? If they're not careful or don't know what they're doing, they might screw things up, no? Like logging into Windows or Linux as 'admin' or 'root'. What benefits are there to doing that?
It allows the user to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to do, like delete useless apps/links that can suck up space/memory, and other things you might require admin rights for.

But you're right, an average/novice user shouldn't be mucking about with things like this. However, if they decide to do so, it's at their devices own peril.

#13  jefftheworld 11-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Quote davidkettle
There is almost no danger in using the rooting method I detailed above, other than voiding your warranty.

The average user certainly wont be logging in as root very much (or at all, perhaps) but having root access is required to install and use a great number of apps.

When you buy a desktop computer, as the owner, you have admin access. Why should it be any different on a phone or tablet?

#14  davidkettle 11-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree, as long as you're aware of the danger. I only log in as root to my computer when necessary. Even though I consider myself fairly technical (I'm a programmer), I like to play safe. And if there are no significant benefits (plus it voids the warranty), why bother? Of course, the choice should be up to you, not the manufacturer or retailer.

I've installed a couple of apps that weren't from Kobo's market (I downloaded them directly from the developer's web site), and I didn't have to log in as root. I just turned on the option to "install from unknown sources". I haven't tried uninstalling anything (and probably won't, until I start to run out of memory), so I don't know about that.

Quote jefftheworld
There is almost no danger in using the rooting method I detailed above, other than voiding your warranty.

The average user certainly wont be logging in as root very much (or at all, perhaps) but having root access is required to install and use a great number of apps.

When you buy a desktop computer, as the owner, you have admin access. Why should it be any different on a phone or tablet?

#15  Psyke 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote davidkettle
I agree, as long as you're aware of the danger. I only log in as root to my computer when necessary. Even though I consider myself fairly technical (I'm a programmer), I like to play safe.
I wish I had clients like you 'cause the programmers here at the office are terrible for getting caught with their pants down .

Usually Technical people are the worse ones to give this sort of access to because they are also usually the most overconfident "it'll never happen to me" sort of people when it comes to virii and malware, and are also the first machines to get hit with the blasted things

#16  SensualPoet 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
All else being equal, I positively do NOT want to root my device. What I DO appreciate is your sourcing and recommending any apps which improve the user experience WITHIN the Kobo-sanctioned environment.

You have another thread that addresses just exactly this; it ought to be a sticky as well.

And should you folks find a non-invasive way to install Android Market (so, for example, I could add Scotiabank app), that would be terrific.

Karma you to!

#17  jefftheworld 11-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote SensualPoet
All else being equal, I positively do NOT want to root my device. What I DO appreciate is your sourcing and recommending any apps which improve the user experience WITHIN the Kobo-sanctioned environment.

You have another thread that addresses just exactly this; it ought to be a sticky as well.

And should you folks find a non-invasive way to install Android Market (so, for example, I could add Scotiabank app), that would be terrific.

Karma you to!
Not sure it will be possible to install market without rooting. We'll see. Either way, if something goes wrong your warranty will be voided.

#18  Annibronte 11-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Quote SensualPoet

Karma you to!
I haven't tried it myself yet, but this person posting at Digital Forums has some ideas for those who have other Android devices (like me, wooo!)

#19  taming 11-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Quote Annibronte
I haven't tried it myself yet, but this person posting at Digital Forums has some ideas for those who have other Android devices (like me, wooo!)
This will not let you install Android Market or the proprietary google apps, but I was excited when I saw that the latest version of Astro (thanks Jeff) had the backup apk function. There may be an app I can get by using that from my Nexus S backup. So far, I have what I need on the Vox.

#20  yoshid 11-09-2011, 02:27 PM
so how do I remove apps I don't want on my vox? after rooting my vox "apps" list in superuser is empty.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register