Mobileread
Firmware 13.2.0 removed
#31  ottischwenk 01-29-2020, 10:25 AM
Quote rantanplan
Do the Tolinos check if the update.zip is actually intended for them? I don't want to brick my Shine because I installed an Epos update.
Oh, cou can open it, change the SD with a new OS.
You wont brick it.
I installed it - no problems, but usually I donot use the built in Tolino App.
But after 13.2.1 my Tolino wants to update to 12.2!

#32  Peripathetic 01-29-2020, 10:44 AM
Quote rantanplan
Do the Tolinos check if the update.zip is actually intended for them? I don't want to brick my Shine because I installed an Epos update.
The update script has a basic check to abort the update if the device name is not what it expects:
Code
getprop("ro.product.device") == "ntx_6sl"
|| getprop("ro.product.device") == "tolino_vision2"
|| getprop("ro.product.device") == "tolino"
|| abort("This package is for tolino devices except shine1!");
Still, other things can go wrong at times. As @ottischwenk said, best to have a complete image of the SD card, and you're covered, also in case of SD card failure which I think is much more likely. Even better to use a replacement larger/faster SD card and keep the original one as a spare.

#33  rantanplan 01-29-2020, 10:52 AM
Quote ottischwenk
But after 13.2.1 my Tolino wants to update to 12.2!

Quote Peripathetic
The update script has a basic check to abort the update if the device name is not what it expects:
Code
getprop("ro.product.device") == "ntx_6sl"
|| getprop("ro.product.device") == "tolino_vision2"
|| getprop("ro.product.device") == "tolino"
|| abort("This package is for tolino devices except shine1!");
Still, other things can go wrong at times. As @ottischwenk said, best to have a complete image of the SD card, and you're covered, also in case of SD card failure which I think is much more likely. Even better to use a replacement larger/faster SD card and keep the original one as a spare.
I've seen a disassembling video and got to the conclusion that they really tried to make sure that you break stuff if you want to disassemble the device yourself. I don't want to break a device that's only 3 months old...

#34  ottischwenk 01-29-2020, 10:59 AM
Quote Peripathetic
Im using in my Shine3 a 64GB SD card with 1 GB System Partition and opened Android 4.4.2.
Mainly Im using Calibre Companion with AlReader.
But must of the space is used by Kiwix with Wikipadia aso.

#35  Peripathetic 01-30-2020, 10:34 AM
Quote rantanplan
I've seen a disassembling video and got to the conclusion that they really tried to make sure that you break stuff if you want to disassemble the device yourself. I don't want to break a device that's only 3 months old...
In my experience, it was easy enough to pry it open with a plectrum but more of a challenge to put it together again: somehow, the back panel seemed too small to fit so I had to heat it up a bit with a hairdryer before putting it back on.

#36  Tuneraider 02-05-2020, 11:08 AM
It's showing 13.2.1 available for the Shine 3.

https://mytolino.com/software-updates/

#37  doubleshuffle 02-09-2020, 05:08 AM
I've upgraded my Shine 3 to 13.2.1.

Everything is running smoothly, with one exception: Using the browser, it is impossible to type text properly. I was using it to browse Mobileread, and when I tried to write replies to posts, whenever I typed a space what I had typed before would disappear (magically returning after I removed the space), and punctuation also deleted the text that went before.

« First  « Prev   (4/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register