Mobileread
What's the best Kindle to use as a secondary device?
#1  rosalita 01-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Hello, all. I have been a long-time user of Kobo e-readers, and I have no desire to change that anytime soon. However, there are some books that are only available for Kindle, and while I have in the past converted them to epub format using Calibre, lately I've been wondering about the economics of picking up an inexpensive Kindle to use for these kinds of books.

In short, I'm looking for recommendations for relatively inexpensive, fairly basic Kindle. I'd like to have the front light, but I don't care about physical page-turn buttons, waterproofing, large screen, etc. Essentially, if I could duplicate the specs of my Kobo Glo HD in a cheap-ish Kindle format, that would be ideal.

#2  Sirtel 01-23-2020, 01:03 PM
Quote rosalita
Hello, all. I have been a long-time user of Kobo e-readers, and I have no desire to change that anytime soon. However, there are some books that are only available for Kindle, and while I have in the past converted them to epub format using Calibre, lately I've been wondering about the economics of picking up an inexpensive Kindle to use for these kinds of books.

In short, I'm looking for recommendations for relatively inexpensive, fairly basic Kindle. I'd like to have the front light, but I don't care about physical page-turn buttons, waterproofing, large screen, etc. Essentially, if I could duplicate the specs of my Kobo Glo HD in a cheap-ish Kindle format, that would be ideal.
The basic Kindle has lower resolution than the Glo HD, but otherwise will do.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLPWYB7

If you want the same resolution as the Glo HD, get the Paperwhite:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXG6C9W

#3  rosalita 01-23-2020, 02:21 PM
Quote Sirtel
The basic Kindle has lower resolution than the Glo HD, but otherwise will do.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLPWYB7

If you want the same resolution as the Glo HD, get the Paperwhite:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXG6C9W
Thanks, that was very helpful to do a comparison. As it happens, Woot has the Paperwhite 3 for $69.99 and that seems like the perfect option for me.

#4  ilovejedd 01-23-2020, 02:23 PM
I don't know how good your eyes are.

Personally, the basic Kindle (167 ppi) is too blurry/has too much edge pixelation for my taste. Lowest I can tolerate is 212 ppi (Paperwhite 1/2, Kobo Aura).

If you wait for a sale, you can usually find the basic Kindle for $60-70 and the Paperwhite for $80-90. At $20 difference (and same price as basic Kindle at MSRP), I think the higher resolution on the Paperwhite is worth it.

#5  rosalita 01-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Quote ilovejedd
I don't know how good your eyes are.

Personally, the basic Kindle (167 ppi) is too blurry/has too much edge pixelation for my taste. Lowest I can tolerate is 212 ppi (Paperwhite 1/2, Kobo Aura).

If you wait for a sale, you can usually find the basic Kindle for $60-70 and the Paperwhite for $80-90. At $20 difference (and same price as basic Kindle at MSRP), I think the higher resolution on the Paperwhite is worth it.
I agree with you, now that I am a "certain age" I prefer clear type and the 300 ppi of the Glo is quite good for me. And as I posted just before I saw your reply, I found a Paperwhite 3 for $69.99 and that seems like a pretty good deal.

#6  ilovejedd 01-23-2020, 02:26 PM
Quote rosalita
Thanks, that was very helpful to do a comparison. As it happens, Woot has the Paperwhite 3 for $69.99 and that seems like the perfect option for me.
Good choice. The PW3 actually has better contrast compared to the PW4.

Seems like that $70 is for brand new with 1 year warranty as well. They also have refurbs for $10 less ($60).

#7  teija 01-24-2020, 12:02 AM
You will be quite happy with the Paperwhite 3! I also got roped into a Kindle with some of the cheap/free items on the Amazon Kindle store, and now although I have always been a big Kobo supporter, and never had a Kindle until last year, I use both about the same amount as each other.

#8  rosalita 01-24-2020, 01:26 PM
Quote teija
You will be quite happy with the Paperwhite 3! I also got roped into a Kindle with some of the cheap/free items on the Amazon Kindle store, and now although I have always been a big Kobo supporter, and never had a Kindle until last year, I use both about the same amount as each other.
I knew I couldn't be the only one! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll still prioritize acquiring books from Kobo (I am a sucker for BookBub's daily deals) but there are some titles that are either not on sale at Kobo when they are at Amazon, or are just not available except in Kindle editions. Calibre has worked well for converting, but my workflow has moved away from desktop/laptop computers and more toward being iPad-centered, and as far as I know Calibre can't be used on an iPad to convert and send books to an e-reader.

#9  tomsem 01-24-2020, 05:38 PM
Personally I think the newest Kindle is perfectly fine (with trade in credit and promotion, I spent $5 for mine). But for a little more (sale time) you get newest Paperwhite, with more storage, higher resolution screen, waterproof. But as others suggest, PW3 may have clearer display than PW4. That does not matter for me, I prefer the thinner/flush form factor, and though I don’t use it for audiobooks, I like seeing which books have audiobook companions since I’m going to read those on my iPad mini.

But none of that audiobook stuff matters if you’re just feeding it with calibre.

#10  rosalita 01-24-2020, 05:42 PM
Quote tomsem
Personally I think the newest Kindle is perfectly fine (with trade in credit and promotion, I spent $5 for mine). But for a little more (sale time) you get newest Paperwhite, with more storage, higher resolution screen, waterproof. But as others suggest, PW3 may have clearer display than PW4. That does not matter for me, I prefer the thinner/flush form factor, and though I don’t use it for audiobooks, I like seeing which books have audiobook companions since I’m going to read those on my iPad mini.

But none of that audiobook stuff matters if you’re just feeding it with calibre.
I actually expect to continue reading my Kobo-purchased books on my Kobo Glo HD, and only use the Kindle for books that aren't available on Kobo. For instance the Amazon First Reads monthly giveaway, and the Prime Reading promotion for those who have Amazon Prime. I had forgotten about the audiobook companion aspect of the Kindles, so I'm glad you mentioned that. I'll have to check it out.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register