Mobileread
Moon Reader "choose root of ext sdcard to grant permission."
#1  Canerrity 12-14-2019, 05:33 PM
I bought a new tablet with a new sdcard, and now I can no longer use Moon Reader because I keep getting the message "choose root of ext sdcard to grant permission." Looking online was of no help. The only info is to enable documents in the app settings, but it is already enabled. I installed Cool Reader and it does not have the problem. Any suggestions?

#2  stumped 12-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Do exactly what it says, using its file explorer : choose i.e. select root (folder)... Of the external sd card

following instructions is often the best way to make stuff work

Alternatively, set moon reader to use internal storage for its folders then you will never have to humour android by doing the sd card root folder select thing. It's an android issue, not an app issue
Google search Android file storage permissions, or similar searches, for more background

#3  barryem 12-14-2019, 09:31 PM
I had the same problem at first. The messages are misleading and confusing. I just had to play with it a while. It finally worked.

I've done the same thing on a couple of devices since then and it's easier after having done it the first time.

I wish I could tell you just what I did but I still have to figure it out each time. It can be done though.

Barry

#4  stumped 12-15-2019, 02:49 AM
when in doubt, just put the cryptic phrase into google

a search for "choose root of ext sdcard to grant permission" will generate a wealth of tips and explanations

#5  stumped 12-15-2019, 06:39 AM
PS it should be as simple as
1. open My files option in moon reader
2. navigate around the files and folders shown until it is showing the sd card top level directory ( that is the root)
3. select that and your troubles should be over..

( until the next time android and/or the app updates itself , then you may have to repeat the dance)
Moon is not the only app that suffers with this issue. e.g. Calibre Companion is also plagued with it, on various android devices.

#6  graatch 12-22-2019, 08:02 PM
The android limitations on SD card access by apps are so strange to me because I don't see how it represents more security to allow interactions with the internal storage but not the external storage. Assumedly people put plenty of things on the internal storage which a rogue app could mess with, so what the heck is the putative difference?

#7  Stridr 01-14-2020, 01:53 AM
Found this thread via googling, because the instructions are illegible, microscopic and not enlargeable--and then when viewed with a magnifying glass, not at all helpful. I expect that user "stumped" is trying to help, but his attempted assistance unfortunately comes across as snide, patronizing and (fatal flaw) unhelpful.

#8  AnotherCat 01-14-2020, 05:17 PM
This may differ a bit due to app's own handling and the OEM's version of Android. But in near stock versions of Android (e.g. one Android One phones such as those of Nokia and Google) when one touches the option in an app to select a folder to store in it takes one to a near empty display with "SELECT" down in the bottom right corner and among a few other things a menu hamburger at the top left corner. Touch that menu hamburger and one gets a drop down which includes the phone's internal storage and external storage (SD Card).

Select the SD Card and one gets a drop down of all the folders on the card, touch the one you want (or the subfolder within that iof one wants the subfolder, then touch SELECT down in the bottom right corner of the display.

OEM versions of Android should be basically the same, for example without checking I recall my Samsung tablets are very much the same. I am the first to agree that the process is not intuitive for the first time doing it (I think because one is tempted by the "SELECT" option to select something from a blank screen before one touches the hamburger to get the things to select).

EDIT: the above is for cards designated as portable storage or similar term, if ones card has been user designated as internal storage the procedure above may be a little different but touching the menu hamburger should get one on the way to listing the available folders - I can't comment further as I never use cards designated as internal storage (in fact many devices will not allow them to be so).

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register