Mobileread
New Leaf Welcome to the New Leaf Book Club
#561  gmw 10-18-2019, 03:48 AM
AU shoppers - which I guess means Bookpossum - you might like to take a look at The Toymakers by Robert Dinsale, currently on special at Kobo AU and Amazon AU.

I stumbled over this quite some time ago while searching out other books for this club (see May 2018 "Doomed to Repeat It" nomination thread). It turned out to be one of my 5 star readers for this year. It is highly emotive, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Here are a few of the quotes I thought worth sharing. Obviously YMMV, but I loved it.

#562  Bookpossum 10-18-2019, 07:28 AM
Thanks very much for this gmw. I don’t think I can do anything while on Lord Howe Island, but if the offer stands for a few days, I shall check it out when I get home. The network I am using is an unsecured one.

#563  CRussel 10-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Quote Bookpossum
Thanks very much for this gmw. I don’t think I can do anything while on Lord Howe Island, but if the offer stands for a few days, I shall check it out when I get home. The network I am using is an unsecured one.
Ping me offline and we can have a discussion about VPNs. Probably not worth the bother now, but good to have in your arsenal for when you need them. And unsecured hotel WiFi is a good reason, for sure!

#564  Bookpossum 10-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Thanks for that Charlie - I shall check it with you when I’m home.

#565  issybird 02-14-2020, 07:29 AM
Here’s a link to the post setting out the next round of themes.

#566  Dazrin 02-14-2020, 02:36 PM
I've updated the list post and the spreadsheet ("Complete List" tab) with these categories. Please make sure I have them input properly and let me know if there are corrections to be made. Thank you.

#567  Bookpossum 02-14-2020, 06:21 PM
Thanks Dazrin - they look good to me.

#568  Victoria 02-15-2020, 02:46 PM
Quote Bookpossum
Thanks Dazrin - they look good to me.
They do to me as well. Thanks!

#569  CRussel 02-26-2020, 05:30 PM
Just a quick heads up to everyone. issybird needs a break, so I've agreed to handle administrative duties for a while, probably (HOPEFULLY) with the help of others. Meanwhile, our core directive to select, read and discuss books based on broadly interpreted themes, and in a collegial and non-confrontational way, will remain unchanged. Please be patient while I flail around trying to figure things out and try not to abuse me more than absolutely necessary.

ETA: And I want to personally express my gratitude and appreciation for all the HARD WORK that issybird has put into managing this herd of cats for the last TWO YEARS. You have been amazing.

#570  issybird 02-26-2020, 07:05 PM
Shucks, Charlie! Thank you.

Where’s the cabana boy?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (57/58)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register