Mobileread
Tools Software Jailbreak for PW2, PW3, PW3W, KT2, KV, KOA and KT3
#11  geekmaster 07-04-2016, 11:56 PM
Quote rashkae
Question, will these images install on the wrong device if user user loads wrong file, (potentially bricking it.), or are the Kindles still able to reject innapropriate images?
Yes, it will install and BRICK your kindle if it is a (serial number based) version mismatch. No the kindles do NOT reject these factory updates.

That is a side effect of how they work and what allows us to do this in the first place. You must take care -- others have bricked their kindles trying the wrong version, which is WHY it took so long for this to get released to the general public. My post started an avalanche of activity when I successfully used it on my PW2, quickly confirmed by other devs, and which resulted in this new way to jaibreak FINALLY being released. A ton of work UP FRONT, and a flurry of activity at the end. And our "Fourth of July" (American Independence Day) holiday weekend kept us going with a tight deadline. And here we are with a brand new easy-to-use set of tools.

Thanks everybody (especially knc1 and anybody else who put in the long hours up front), letting us enjoy these last few days getting this ready to release. This weekend was just the gravy on top of this "Amazon-Independence Day" holiday feast.

#12  travak 07-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Quote geekmaster
Yes, it will install and BRICK your kindle if it is a (serial number based) version mismatch. No the kindles do NOT reject these factory updates.
I think I've managed to do this. Started from 5.8.1.

During boot loop USB is accessible short-term; any suggestions or am I SOL?

#13  geekmaster 07-05-2016, 12:10 AM
Quote travak

It depends on how far the install proceeded. This new images have a lot more opportunities for intervention. With short term USB access it may be possible to push something in, but we need to study these details more to find such things. It was only a short amount of study to find the jailbreak, so debricking should be an option I think, though I will not be able to participate in that avenue of research, and other devs have outside plans too. We need some fresh young blood to step up and take over for us old folks...

#14  Branch Delay 07-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Quote travak

Create a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file on root of USB when it mounts. Reboot a few times after. Probably should have more warnings in the guide as downgrading may prove to be a risky procedure.

#15  geekmaster 07-05-2016, 12:17 AM
Quote Branch Delay
Create a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file on root of USB when it mounts. Reboot a few times after.
That is an option that has not sunk into my brain yet -- not available when I was (hyper)active here years ago. Thanks for the suggestion.

#16  knc1 07-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Quote travak

Hmm...
That state is actually backed by a counter -
It could be that our testing started with the counter @ zero and your counter started at a higher number (maybe one less than the trigger point).

That could be why we didn't see that happen in our testing.

Try pushing a:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
filename into the root of USB storage.

You might have to setup a scripted loop on your PC and then reboot the Kindle while it has the USB cable connecting it to the PC.

Ref:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78&postcount=1

- - - -

Also -
you should be running the factory original firmware now -
it has a lot of recovery features (like a lot of search bar commands) not in the consumer firmware versions.

There may be something that will let you recover or zero that counter.

#17  travak 07-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Quote Branch Delay
Create a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file on root of USB when it mounts. Reboot a few times after. Probably should have more warnings in the guide as downgrading may prove to be a risky procedure.
Success! Up and stable in 5.6.1.1

Thanks for the quick response!

#18  knc1 07-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Quote travak
Success! Up and stable in 5.6.1.1

Thanks for the quick response!
Your welcome.

Now just don't brick it in the next few hours so we can all get some rest.

- - - -

Seriously -
I will add in the 'don't panic if it bricks' information (tomorrow, with other changes people have told me about).

#19  knc1 07-05-2016, 12:51 AM
Quote geekmaster
That is an option that has not sunk into my brain yet -- not available when I was (hyper)active here years ago. Thanks for the suggestion.
The search bar command to switch to 'diags' mode might have worked.
The search bar command to bring up USB networking might have helped.

The factory firmware images have a lot of things that need to be explored.
There might even be a 'clear counter' search bar command, we haven't had time to look.

#20  peterslo 07-05-2016, 03:20 AM
I have a PW2, with 5.8.1 manually updated.

Just downloaded the correct downgrade and downgraded. I did not keep an eye on the output so I do not know if any error messages were displayed.

Kindle settings say that I still have 5.8.1 installed. Should I repeat the downgrade process? I do not want to continue flashing the jailbreak until settings display the downgraded version number.

Thank you for your help!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/336)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register