Mobileread
What are you listening to audiobooks ON?
#11  Hampshire Nanny 06-30-2014, 09:22 PM
Quote sakura-panda
That said, I use my 64GB iPhone for listening to audiobooks. I listen to them only in the car and I have a cable that connects between the headphone jack on the phone and an "AUX" connection on the front of my radio. I put my books -- all purchased from Audible -- on it through iTunes and then use the Audible app to listen to them.

Audible does not seem to have any good organization and iTunes buries *everything* so I can never find what I want to listen to through the phone's native music app. I organize and upload my content through iTunes and then I use Audible to listen to the books.
I use the Audible app on my iPhone as well. I don't load content with iTunes, rather, I download the audiobook directly from Audible when I'm on a WiFi connection. I also only listen to audiobooks when I'm in the car -- actually, when I'm alone in the car -- and have the same set-up as sakura-panda.

Quote issybird
When I swim, I listen on an Aerb waterproof MP3 player. As with Charlie, it's a different book, it would be too hard to find my place if I switched back and forth.
I love the idea of listening while swimming. I plan to start swimming laps when I retire and will no longer be spending 3/4 of each month away from hme. I'll definitely be researching a good waterproof player and headphones.

Although I've only listened to books from Audible.com so far, I've been downloading the books from this summers SYNC offering. Since they're a series of MP3 files, they need to be organized in a playlist of some sort so that they play in the right order. Don't know what app to use on the iPhone to listen to these books. Any suggestions?

#12  Synamon 06-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Quote Hampshire Nanny
Although I've only listened to books from Audible.com so far, I've been downloading the books from this summers SYNC offering. Since they're a series of MP3 files, they need to be organized in a playlist of some sort so that they play in the right order. Don't know what app to use on the iPhone to listen to these books. Any suggestions?
You can put them on your iPhone using iTunes. When you add them into iTunes edit the Info and change the format to Audiobook from Music on the Options tab and you won't need a playlist. You can listen to them using the Audible app if you like, it can access audiobooks you sideload via iTunes.

-----

I listen on my iPod Touch or my iPhone 5c. They are pretty much interchangeable and I usually end up with two different stories going at the same time.

The touch is a holdover from before I got the phone and now I mostly listen to sideloaded library audiobooks on it using the Audible app, since my iPhone doesn't seem to like me to transfer to it from the external hard disk that I store audiobooks on temporarily. I use the phone in my car through its stereo using bluetooth and generally listen to audiobooks I've purchased and downloaded to the Audible app. When walking or before bed I use whichever has the story I'm in the mood for. Usually I use the newest Apple earbuds, they let me hear ambient noise when walking, but when no one is around I skip the earbuds and listen using the speaker of the device.

#13  alansplace 07-01-2014, 12:16 AM
My Kindle Fire or my PC, sometimes (depending on the noise level in the location) using KOSS Plug In-Ear Headphones.
image »

#14  AnemicOak 07-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Quote WT Sharpe
Everyone who mentioned using apps on their devices has made me very jealous.
It certainly is handy. With the Audible app, along with apps for Downpour, Tantor & Overdrive it's easy to get books to the device even when away from home.

#15  Bookworm_Girl 07-01-2014, 01:18 AM
I mostly listen on my iPhone using the Audible or Overdrive apps. I use Plantronics wireless headphones. I also have an old Apple Shuffle that is good for loading one book at a time. I never thought about swimming and listening to audiobooks. What an interesting idea! I must research that.

#16  WT Sharpe 07-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Quote Bookworm_Girl
I mostly listen on my iPhone using the Audible or Overdrive apps. I use Plantronics wireless headphones. I also have an old Apple Shuffle that is good for loading one book at a time. I never thought about swimming and listening to audiobooks. What an interesting idea! I must research that.
I've done it with poolside speakers, but never with in-ear waterproof speakers and a Bluetooth device in a waterproof cover. Unfortunately, we no longer have a pool, although the wife keeps making noises about getting a new one.

#17  din155 07-01-2014, 06:44 AM
I largely listen with my sports earphones on my android phone. Sometimes I try to use the Bluetooth headphones but it's heavy for longer use. Most of my books are from audible but I also use overdrive app to borrow from library. I would love to have a pair of good Bluetooth earphones that I can use while running or exercise but the prices have so far stopped me from pressing buy button.

#18  David Munch 07-01-2014, 06:52 AM
iPhone. Works like a charm.

While I am not too happy about the battery in general, the battery life for listening to music and audiobooks is quite good.

#19  pwalker8 07-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Quote David Munch
iPhone. Works like a charm.

While I am not too happy about the battery in general, the battery life for listening to music and audiobooks is quite good.
I solved that problem with the mophie battery case for the iPhone (they make one for some of the Android phones as well).

#20  issybird 07-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Quote Hampshire Nanny
You can do as Synamon recommended, or I've said I like the SmarterPlayer app which has a nice functionality.

I love the idea of listening while swimming. I plan to start swimming laps when I retire and will no longer be spending 3/4 of each month away from hme. I'll definitely be researching a good waterproof player and headphones.
Quote Bookworm_Girl
Quote WT Sharpe
I've done it with poolside speakers, but never with in-ear waterproof speakers and a Bluetooth device in a waterproof cover. Unfortunately, we no longer have a pool, although the wife keeps making noises about getting a new one.
You don't even have to get that fancy (*cough* pricey). This is the Aerb mp3 player I have and the earbuds are the type that plug into the device. The player itself works flawlessly, but while I'm satisfied, I know from reading the reviews of this and other players that many need to invest in upgraded plug-in earbuds.

This is the first summer I'm swimming with an mp3 player and I'm delighted (indeed, I haven't been listening to audiobooks for very long). I love to swim, but tedium used to set in before exhaustion.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/26)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register