Mobileread
What Makes a Reader
#41  jenieliser 09-09-2020, 09:54 AM
I agree with the early exposure theory, combined with reading the right genre/book....

I remember my mom taking me to library at least once a week, sometimes more. At the time she wasn't a big reader, neither was my dad. But I read everything I could-labels, signs, etc. I remember just being curious about everything.
But then in middle school I stopped reading so much. I didn't get back my voracious reading habits until freshman year of high school when my great aunt (always reading, walls and walls of books) gave me Pride and Prejudice. I stayed up all night reading by the light of a heater. I was once again hooked.
Ironically I suggested a book to my mom and now she is just as much reader as I am.

#42  4691mls 09-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Quote jenieliser
I agree with the early exposure theory, combined with reading the right genre/book....

I remember my mom taking me to library at least once a week, sometimes more. At the time she wasn't a big reader, neither was my dad. But I read everything I could-labels, signs, etc. I remember just being curious about everything.
But then in middle school I stopped reading so much. I didn't get back my voracious reading habits until freshman year of high school when my great aunt (always reading, walls and walls of books) gave me Pride and Prejudice. I stayed up all night reading by the light of a heater. I was once again hooked.
Ironically I suggested a book to my mom and now she is just as much reader as I am.
I think you are right about the type of book making a difference. Like you, I really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice but it's not everyone's cup of tea. (Especially not the typical teenage boy in a high school literature class. ) Many people on Mobileread are scifi fans but I haven't read any since I was a teenager - it's just not my area of interest.

I do think it's important that schools teach at least a few "classics" so everyone is exposed to them. However, I also think teachers should encourage students to explore different genres and find something that appeals to them so that reading is seen as something that can be enjoyable, not just something you have to slog through to meet school requirements.

#43  HLS 09-11-2020, 05:30 PM
I read a lot a a child then as an adult i went over 20 years never reading. got my first ereader Nook in 2010 and been reading ever since.

#44  paulag 09-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Hi all. Newbie here)

I was very lucky that my parents encouraged my reading habit. If there was a book I wanted, my parents rarely refused to buy it for me. My mom also loves sci-fi and was shoving books like Dune on me when I was 14. My parents had to buy me my own bookshelf to handle all the books I accumulated.

That kind of encouragement helped solidify my reading habit early on and cemented the fact that reading is a good use of free time.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register