Mobileread
What Makes a Reader
#11  ps67 09-03-2020, 06:54 PM
I learned to read at school, but after few days I was able and I wanted to read everything and everywhere. Signs, written under the products in the shops, obscene written on the walls whose meaning I asked...

#12  MarjaE 09-03-2020, 07:02 PM
I had a lot of trouble reading until I got my first glasses. My parents had read to me, and I enjoyed a lot of the stories they read, and knew where to look for more. I really got into reading over the next few years.

#13  PeterT 09-03-2020, 07:04 PM
I was about 5 years old, and either my mother or sisters had to read me my weekly comic; Eagle and Dan Date. The ultimatum was made; either read it yourself or it gets cancelled.

I learnt to read!

Eventually we obtained a TV in order to reduce my reading. Didn't work; I'd watch BBC1 and 2 (ITV was verboten) and read at the same time.

#14  hobnail 09-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Quote MarjaE
I had a lot of trouble reading until I got my first glasses. My parents had read to me, and I enjoyed a lot of the stories they read, and knew where to look for more.
Which shows that you don't have to be able to read to enjoy books. Nowadays you can listen to audio books and still be illiterate.

#15  cfrizz 09-03-2020, 08:19 PM
I clearly remember when I was in grade school, 4th grade I think, and telling the teacher I was bored, she told me to read a book. I've been reading ever since!

#16  Dr. Drib 09-03-2020, 08:56 PM
I remember the exact moment I started to read, and thought I knew what I was reading:

See Dick.
See Jane.
Funny, funny Jane.
Run, Spot, Run!

And when I discovered the actual subtext of what I had been avidly devouring during those early years long long ago, I knew I would have to name my first-born Spot.

#17  Apache 09-03-2020, 09:39 PM
I do not remember when I started reading. As far as I can remember I have always read. My mother liked to read. My father only read newspapers. My sister only reads gossip magazines. I had an uncle on my fathers side and my maternal grandfather both read a lot. My father was in the USAF and we lived all over the place, moving every two years. My grandfather lived in Illinois and my uncle lived in Georgia. We all read the same books. When I visited my grandfather we would swap all of the books we had read. Then when I visited my uncle we would also swap.
Apache

#18  Uncle Robin 09-03-2020, 09:54 PM
Quote Apache
I do not remember when I started reading
Apache
Ditto. I know that my single father taught his three kids to read by reading to us and encouraging us to read the books available - mostly a (to a kid) largeish library of a Times of India collection. I hadn't READ Shaw and Shakespeare by the time I started kindergarten, but thanks to the spines and the tables of contents, I knew who they were.

#19  Paperbackstash 09-04-2020, 12:55 AM
Good thread following the other one on Harry Potter/classic.

I agree with you I think it's an inborn trait -some can learn it, but some naturally navigate toward it.

As I mentioned in another post in the other thread, I'm the only one in my family who likes reading. My parents read to me as a kid but never read and don't like it, my brother doesn't like to read, and my son doesn't -- but I've been fascinated by books and reading since about the age of 2.

Fortunately I found several friends who are readers and we have a fun book club going on once a month

#20  leebase 09-04-2020, 10:57 AM
In in the "you are born with it" side of the isle. Of course, a child has to be given the opportunity to learn to read and then have access to books to read. But - becoming a life long reader? I think it's no different than any other type of passion.

And, of course, I'm particularly speaking of "reading books you don't have too". Not basic literacy. Reading for work, reading social media, reading the internet, reading road signs...none of that are what I'm speaking of.

My gateway drug was the Weekly Reader. I LOVED getting the weekly reader and having my father give me a couple dollars to buy a book. The Witches Buttons, A Wrinkle in Time still stand out in my mind as books I loved that I got from the Weekly Reader.

SRA's - someone mentioned. I loved racing with my friends to see who could get to the highest level first. We all finished the whole set.

Somehow I got my hand on Westerns in paperback format. I used to read a lot of westerns until I discovered science fiction.

I read all the time. My step mom would chase me out of the house...but I'd just take my book with me.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register