Mobileread
Tom's hands-on with Archos AV700
#11  Unregistered 12-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Quote ALEXH516
YEAH THAT HAPPENS TO ME TOO. I HAVE THE AV500 AND IT DOES THE SAME THING. WHY IS THAT?
If anyone gets the answer to this, please post it because I'm getting no answers from Archos on this. I have the exact same problem and when I had an AV 400 this never happened. I almost want to take that old archos back from her and give her this one- I said almost dammit! I'm not crazy.

#12  Unregistered 01-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Just a friendly warning: At least some Archos AV700's (my 100gb gadget and another 40gb that I know of) have serious issues when upgrading the firmware according to Archos' instructions. This may just be when upgrading from 1.1.34 to 1.2.01 but, then again, it might not. The players don't start up properly (i.e. crash before starting up) more than about 1% of the time after upgrading, rendering them pretty much unusable, and Archos "Support" (who graciously held on to my AV700 for about six weeks without fixing it) don't know about this issue either. When I got my AV700 from its 6-week hiatus in France, I fixed it myself by upgrading to a newer firmware after spending about an hour trying to turn it on.

With this issue, more issues I've heard of online and the absolute lack of support from Archos in mind, I would strongly advise against buying the AV700--I don't know enough about other Archos products to condemn them (as much as I'd like to), but I will be avoiding them from now on. Lesson learnt.

-G.B.

#13  Unregistered 02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
I have the same problem I guess it assumes that if you are recording something the cable box should be off.

Quote Unregistered
Has anyone else had issues with using the scheduler with their cable box? When I have shows scheduled and the cable box is already on, the unit is turning off the cable box (through the IR emitter) and recording a black screen for the duration of the program. So it seems to work if the cable box is off because it will turn it on to record but then when it goes to record the next program it will turn it off because it was on.

Any thoughts? Am I alone on this one?

#14  JOM 03-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Quote Unregistered
Just a friendly warning: At least some Archos AV700's (my 100gb gadget and another 40gb that I know of) have serious issues when upgrading the firmware according to Archos' instructions. This may just be when upgrading from 1.1.34 to 1.2.01 but, then again, it might not. The players don't start up properly (i.e. crash before starting up) more than about 1% of the time after upgrading, rendering them pretty much unusable, and Archos "Support" (who graciously held on to my AV700 for about six weeks without fixing it) don't know about this issue either. When I got my AV700 from its 6-week hiatus in France, I fixed it myself by upgrading to a newer firmware after spending about an hour trying to turn it on.

With this issue, more issues I've heard of online and the absolute lack of support from Archos in mind, I would strongly advise against buying the AV700--I don't know enough about other Archos products to condemn them (as much as I'd like to), but I will be avoiding them from now on. Lesson learnt.

-G.B.
Hi. Seems I have the same problem.It's stuck in the startupscreen forever. Shuts down after pushing stop button for 10 secs, but same thing when trying to start. How did You fix it?
jom@satcom.nera.no

#15  Unregistered 03-29-2006, 03:16 PM
It happened to me too last night...

I just got off the Phone with Archos Tech Support, they told me to go to "VideoCorder" and then go to "Contextual Settings" (you know when you press the setup button on the right side)...

then on the Scheduling Parameters, have that ON (not off) and that should do it...I will try tonight and see what happens...

good luck...

#16  Unregistered 03-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Have the Auto Stop Rec "ON" under the Video Corder Contextual Parameter.

#17  Bob Russell 04-23-2006, 03:25 PM
So is everything okay with this setting then or is this a product line to be avoided?

#18  pitcher23 05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Quote Bob Russell
So is everything okay with this setting then or is this a product line to be avoided?
I can't speak for everyone else, but I finally decided to upgrade my 40gb av700 and the firmware update worked flawlessly. It also synched up my media files through WMP without a hitch. I mostly have it hooked up to my Direct TV sattelite box to record shows directly to which it works fine and the screen resolution is beautiful.

The only issue I ever had with it, which is true with many LCD products, is that I had one dead pixel in the center of the screen. I do not notice it while watching shows or movies, but do notice it on a blank backround on the menu screen. To me it wasn't enough to contact customer support so I can't give you any info on how good or bad their service it.

#19  Riocaz 05-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I can't speak for the rest of the line but the only problem with my AV340 was easily sorted by a replacement battery. (After 2-3 years of continuous use the battery life was about 70% of what it began with)

I've been vaguely considering an upgrade since the PMA was announced.

But for the moment I think I will stick with my AV340 until it dies.

#20  bmac 10-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Did anyone ever find a solution to the ir emitter shutting down the cable box in the scheduling mode.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register