Mobileread
Alternate Android ereading app
#1  barryem 01-06-2021, 09:34 PM
I do much of my reading on my Android phone using Moon+ Pro and I'm completely satisfied with it but I would like to find a really good second app that I can use to look up things in other books without stopping my current read. I've tried a few and I really don't care for any of them.

Let me give an example of what I want from it: I'm currently reading a book with a lot of characters and at 80 years of age names don't always stay with me. So I've created a character list and uploaded it to my Kindle library as a doc file and I use it for reference when I can't recall a name. This works pretty well but the Kindle app is pretty clumsy with doc files. I like to be able to scroll and, while it'll scroll Kindle books it won't scroll docs. And it's slow loading.

I've been using ReadEra for other uses but it also has it's own problems. I find it pretty clumsy. Today I tried Lithium, FBReader, Librera and Aldiko. All feel pretty clumsy to me.

Maybe i've just been spoiled by Moon+ but I don't think so. I'm happy enough with the Kindle app for Kindle books, although I still prefer Moon+.

I wonder if some of you might make some suggestions. I've bought 3 or 4 pro apps today since I don't want to base my decisions on free versions which might not have all the features. I'd prefer to spend my money on something with some promise.

The things I want are the ability to manually scroll, the ability to have left justification, access to a good dictionary, the lack of pagination (since I'm scrolling), and the ability to use the fonts in the book.

Any suggestions?

Barry

#2  DaleDe 01-10-2021, 12:56 PM
For the use you need why not just use a text editor. There are many available, always have a scroll mode.

#3  barryem 01-10-2021, 10:16 PM
I hadn't thought of a text editor but I just searched Google Play for one that would read epub and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a suggestion?

Barry

#4  Uncle Robin 01-10-2021, 10:20 PM
Quote barryem
I hadn't thought of a text editor but I just searched Google Play for one that would read epub and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a suggestion?

Barry
Emacs

#5  DaleDe 01-11-2021, 01:09 PM
Quote barryem

Barry
Why do you need the list to be in ePub? Emacs will do it but you reader will read text files anyway.

Dale

#6  barryem 01-11-2021, 08:46 PM
I don't really need the list to be in epub but I use the second reader for taking a look at other books when I'm nearing the end of a book and trying to decide what to read next. Also a lot of times something in a book will call to mind something in another book I've read and I want to go check it. The second reader has a lot of uses for me and many of those involve other books.

Barry

#7  Question Mark 01-11-2021, 10:06 PM
Quote barryem
I don't really need the list to be in epub but I use the second reader for taking a look at other books when I'm nearing the end of a book and trying to decide what to read next. Also a lot of times something in a book will call to mind something in another book I've read and I want to go check it. The second reader has a lot of uses for me and many of those involve other books.

Barry
Why not try and run two versions of Moon+ Reader on your device?

Although I haven't tried doing so myself, apparently, it is possible (although maybe not for paid versions of the app):

https://www.guidingtech.com/42743/multiple-instances-app-android/

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-run-two-instances-same-app-your-android-smartphone.htm

https://www.digitbin.com/install-two-versions-same-app/

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/smartphones/how-to-run-multiple-instances-of-an-app-on-android-mac/

#8  Pajamaman 01-11-2021, 10:58 PM
AlreaderX or Koreader.

#9  celticchrys 01-18-2021, 04:28 AM
Coolreader or FBReader

#10  Tortuosit 01-22-2021, 02:35 AM
Trying AlreaderX. The UI is... interesting. Wasn't able to make it use own fonts. It needs them on sdcard/Fonts (Uppercase!). If you do that after alreaderxs first start, the reader needs to be restarted. This is worth noting, because it is not easy. It's in the background, permanently. At least here on my Huawei device. Could only stop it via the Android Apps page. Then it really restarted and saw the fonts.
EDIT: Longtap on that exit button seems to really exit. It says "see you later" then.
Btw, an awesome ebook-reader. You need to get used to the option organisation. Prefering it over Moon+ meanwhile, because Moon+ to often puts closing " into a new line.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register