Mobileread
FREE/BARGAIN — Audiobooks
#21  GtrsRGr8 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Where are the self-development audiobooks? We need some self-development audiobooks!!! (haha for those who missed the discussion, above, about them).

#22  tubemonkey 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Quote GtrsRGr8
Where are the self-development audiobooks? We need some self-development audiobooks!!! (haha for those who missed the discussion, above, about them).
Well, Downpour's Deal of the Week is non-fiction.

Ya know, if I were monkey-Emperor of the Known Audiobook Universe, the entire self-help genre would be wiped out of existence

#23  Catlady 01-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Quote tubemonkey

Ya know, if I were monkey-Emperor of the Known Audiobook Universe, the entire self-help genre would be wiped out of existence
Yes! You have my vote!

#24  tubemonkey 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Last Day -- Amazon Alexa -- exp 03 Jan

#25  GtrsRGr8 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Quote tubemonkey

Real question: do you make any distinction between "self-help" and "self-development"? It seems like "self-help" leans toward psychology and "self-development" leans toward things that will create business success. Of course, there would be a lot of overlap between the two (Illus.--if Charles Manson were released, he'd probably have trouble getting a job. ha).

#26  tubemonkey 01-03-2017, 04:12 PM
Quote GtrsRGr8
Real question: do you make any distinction between "self-help" and "self-development"? It seems like "self-help" leans toward psychology and "self-development" leans toward things that will create business success. Of course, there would be a lot of overlap between the two (Illus.--if Charles Manson were released, he'd probably have trouble getting a job. ha).
Nope - I lump self-help, self-development, leadership, business management, career skills, motivational, inspirational, and anything else to improve one's lot in life all in the self-help category.

I don't discount its value to others, but to me, it's all worthless.

#27  GtrsRGr8 01-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Quote tubemonkey
Nope - I lump self-help, self-development, leadership, business management, career skills, motivational, inspirational, and anything else to improve one's lot in life all in the self-help category.

<snip>
Gotcha. Thanks. I'll have a better idea now of whether or not I should look at, or pass over an item labelled "self-development."

#28  tubemonkey 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Quote GtrsRGr8
Gotcha. Thanks. I'll have a better idea now of whether or not I should look at, or pass over an item labelled "self-development."
I tend to use the genre Audible assigns it. Sometimes I use the Kindle designation if I find Audible to be too vague. If Audible says "self-dev", then I'll try to use that. If they say "career skills", then I'll use that. Sometimes I mess up and use an overly broad genre label, instead of a more specific one. Also, I try to use one word whenever possible.

But then again, I could just say "yuck" and chances are, you'll like it

#29  skinmaan 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Quote tubemonkey
But then again, I could just say "yuck" and chances are, you'll like it

It seems Gtrs and monkeys are woven from wholly different yarn!

#30  Barbara1955 01-03-2017, 05:08 PM
I tried the get Audible to remove the Self-Help off my account .... they told me they Don't take back Free Audibles! sheesh

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/1016)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register