Mobileread
PocketBook Color PB633 Released
#11  mikij1 07-28-2020, 11:26 AM
I think that color is more interesting in big screen...

#12  rcentros 07-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Quote MGlitch
I’ll believe it when the units are in people’s hands then. For right now this is only a bit more reliable than GoodeReader taking preorders
I've got a feeling Cyfranek has dealt with this seller in the past, so I'll take his word on this. GoodEReader has been taking orders on the PocketBook Color for over three months now, that's not what happened with this Polish dealer.

#13  tomsem 07-28-2020, 09:00 PM
The color looks rather ‘tired’. No doubt the text is somewhat fuzzed by the extra layer as well. Perhaps there are people who can accept these compromises, but I’m not one of them.

#14  DuckieTigger 07-29-2020, 03:54 AM
This one https://www.digitec.ch/en/amp-page/the-new-pocketbook-ereaders-touch-lux-5-basic-4-and-the-color-screen-17060 says that it has 300dpi in b/w mode, 100dpi in color. Does that mean that the color layer can be turned on and off with software?

#15  patrik 07-29-2020, 04:05 AM
Anyone know if it's the screen that is in either color (100dpi) or gray (300dpi) mode, or can parts of the screen be in different modes?

#16  pdurrant 07-29-2020, 04:09 AM
Quote DuckieTigger
This one https://www.digitec.ch/en/amp-page/the-new-pocketbook-ereaders-touch-lux-5-basic-4-and-the-color-screen-17060 says that it has 300dpi in b/w mode, 100dpi in color. Does that mean that the color layer can be turned on and off with software?
From the Wiki, here's a close-up of the screen:

image »

And from another thread, a closeup showing some 'black' areas:

image »

The switchable elements are at 300dpi. The colours are at 100dpi. Because of the offsets of the colours, any area now black at 300dpi will blend to white, so for a black and white image the screen appears to be 300dpi. When colour is overlaid, it can has a 100dpi resolution.

In the difference of resolutions, it's rather like old PAL TV. A high res monochrome overlaid with a lower resolution colour image.

#17  DuckieTigger 07-29-2020, 04:46 AM
Quote pdurrant
From the Wiki, here's a close-up of the screen:

image »

And from another thread, a closeup showing some 'black' areas:

image »

The switchable elements are at 300dpi. The colours are at 100dpi. Because of the offsets of the colours, any area now black at 300dpi will blend to white, so for a black and white image the screen appears to be 300dpi. When colour is overlaid, it can has a 100dpi resolution.

In the difference of resolutions, it's rather like old PAL TV. A high res monochrome overlaid with a lower resolution colour image.
Thank you. Or in other words, the screen is suitable for black text on white-ish background for the black and white mode. So forget white text on black background. I wonder if the FW is smart enough to render black always at 300dpi independent of the color.

#18  mdp 07-29-2020, 04:49 AM
Quote DuckieTigger
It means that in Kaleido nine EPD dots cover an RGB cell. That 300-ish vs 100-ish is no better than dumb theory, aristotelians vs the pandemic.
Check the doubts I raised in the other thread, check all the pics, maybe start from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=329162&page=8
you will find many from #114 on but there are more in other pages.

EDIT: And really, with this confusing mess, what I wrote with the "9 dots covering 1 cell" is again very probably wrong and wholly virtual. Some has spread the idea of a resolution decimation, which I could not see in the photos, and a cell was thought to be square (to go from ~300 to ~100). But if the actual algorithm is by subpixels, W and K and greys are rendered at 300DPI, and since you need 3 EPD dots to render a 12bits colour the very virtual resolution of colour is 173DPI, not 100 (300/sqrt(pixels_per_colour)).

#19  mdp 07-29-2020, 04:56 AM
Quote DuckieTigger
Thank you. Or in other words, the screen is suitable for black text on white-ish background for the black and white mode. So forget white text on black background. I wonder if the FW is smart enough to render black always at 300dpi independent of the color.
(Simultaneous postings)
I think the OS renders the bitmap to be fed to the display system agnostically, then the display controller translates that as best as possible. Hence, the "reasoning" will always be at 300dpi.

#20  DuckieTigger 07-29-2020, 05:11 AM
Quote mdp
(Simultaneous postings)
I think the OS renders the bitmap to be fed to the display system agnostically, then the display controller translates that as best as possible. Hence, the "reasoning" will always be at 300dpi.
That would be too bad if that is true. I have to check out your other link. More potential if there is a mixed mode. E.g. reflowable text in black at 300dpi over a static color. Wouldn't even need to be reflowable for a graphic novel to be able to zoom in to read the scaleable text if necessary.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/21)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register