Mobileread
Kobo Nia Official Announcement
#11  AZBronco 07-15-2020, 08:19 AM
I'm trying to understand the price point of Nia. All I can think of is they have a device they can regularly put on sale for $79 which is really attractive and able to compete with the regular sales of the basic Kindle (which is also only $20 less than Paperwhite based on list price).

#12  murraypaul 07-15-2020, 08:23 AM
Quote John F
Under supported formats it says "Flepub". What is that?
Kobo's Fixed Layout ePub.

#13  ps67 07-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Quote John F
Fixed-Layout EPUB? I have found this book, so may be:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/today-we-have-no-plans-flepub

Here Nia costs € 99,99 while Clara costs € 129,99.

I am not interested, if I would search a 6" Kobo I would buy a Clara, but somebody could like the lower price (€ 30,00 of difference).

#14  haydnfan 07-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Quote tourneur
What a dud of a device. Like I mentioned before, Kobo would have served the customers better by releasing a Clara 2 and dropping the price of the original Clara. Move forwards, not backwards.
I don't understand your post at all. What meaningful change could the Clara have that by all would seen as an upgrade? A color screen, but it seems too early. Everything else is divisive: glossy screen, waterproofing, page turn buttons.

All of the "upgrades" in recent years have not been upgrades. They've just been changing the design of the shell.

#15  rcentros 07-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Quote tourneur
What a dud of a device. Like I mentioned before, Kobo would have served the customers better by releasing a Clara 2 and dropping the price of the original Clara. Move forwards, not backwards.
No move backwards. The Clara is still offered. Kobo is simply competing at the low-end price range again. I thought this would have happened months ago when the Aura 2 sold out. I don't understand why a low-end eReader is considered a bad idea. Not everyone needs, wants or can afford a higher cost eReader. Having more choices is good.

#16  PeterT 07-15-2020, 09:41 AM
The Nia also does support Kobo's Overdrive integration.

#17  JSWolf 07-15-2020, 09:43 AM
Quote ps67
Fixed-Layout EPUB? I have found this book, so may be:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/today-we-have-no-plans-flepub

Here Nia costs € 99,99 while Clara costs € 129,99.

I am not interested, if I would search a 6" Kobo I would buy a Clara, but somebody could like the lower price (€ 30,00 of difference).
Maybe the price difference would be enough to get the Nia say for your kid's first Reader.

#18  rcentros 07-15-2020, 09:51 AM
Quote John F
Quote murraypaul
Kobo's Fixed Layout ePub.
Is that the same as what they used to call "KePub," or is this a new thing altogether?

#19  rcentros 07-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Quote JSWolf
Maybe the price difference would be enough to get the Nia say for your kid's first Reader.
The ads sure seemed aimed at kids (even the colors of the sleep covers).

#20  murraypaul 07-15-2020, 09:55 AM
Quote rcentros
Is that the same as what they used to call "KePub," or is this a new thing altogether?
No, it is aimed more at the sort of things people might use PDF or image formats for.
Fixed layout, no reflow.

http://www.primediaelaunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Kobo-Fixed-Layout-ePub-Spec.pdf

FLEPUBs are different than standard EPUBs in that the text and images are not re-flowable. The position and layout of all content is fixed regardless of the size or orientation of the display. This format is best suited for titles where a fixed page layout is integral to the reading experience (ie. cookbooks, children’s books, comics and graphic novels or art books).

The approach to specifying presentation details for FLEPUBs is the inverse of EPUBs. EPUB
creation encourages loosely defining presentation details to allow reading applications the
most discretion for displaying content. The FLEPUB format shifts control of the reading
experience to the content producer and ensures that page design will be uniform across a
range of reading applications.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register