Mobileread
Hisense A5C, A5 Pro CC, color e-ink phones
#11  stumped 04-24-2020, 03:23 AM
Quote pdurrant
I'm hoping that HiSense will decide to release a world-wide version with Google Services.
they would need permission/ licence/ certification or whatever from google for that to happen ?

from what I read, there is a deliberate block in place that stops sideloading google services attempts from working. it's not clear why that is. Probably to support chinese censorship, as HiSense is 40% state owned ?
wikipedia: Owner
Qingdao State-Owned Assets Supervision & Administration (39.5%)

#12  epaper 04-24-2020, 03:54 AM
Quote stumped
Was it not established in another thread that it will probably be impossible to add Google services and apps to these. Graduated it cannot be done with existing models, despite many attempts. See xdadevelopers, Reddit, usual suspects
That, and the lack of customer service in the west trumps having colour e ink, for me
i saw someone on reddit being able to actually do this for a5. they linked to xda developers forum. also i think cect offers gplay activation for 10$ extra.

#13  pdurrant 04-24-2020, 03:55 AM
Quote stumped
they would need permission/ licence/ certification or whatever from google for that to happen ?

from what I read, there is a deliberate block in place that stops sideloading google services attempts from working. it's not clear why that is. Probably to support chinese censorship, as HiSense is 40% state owned ?
wikipedia: Owner
Qingdao State-Owned Assets Supervision & Administration (39.5%)
I beleive that google services are deliberately blocked on the Chinese model. That doesn't mean they couldn't release a world-wide model. But it's possible that they have no interest in doing so.

I'm looking forward to actual user reviews of this new E-Ink screen. I do wonder whether Amazon have something up their sleeve for this year.

#14  epaper 04-24-2020, 03:59 AM
A hands on look at the hisense a5c- Hisense A5C hands on - Chinese

#15  skynet84 04-24-2020, 06:12 AM
Quote pdurrant
I beleive that google services are deliberately blocked on the Chinese model. That doesn't mean they couldn't release a world-wide model. But it's possible that they have no interest in doing so.

I'm looking forward to actual user reviews of this new E-Ink screen. I do wonder whether Amazon have something up their sleeve for this year.
Of course models without Google apps a part of the chinese market. But Hisense released A6 WITH Google apps only in Russia market, not anywhere else in other country of the wolrd.
So it's impossible to buy one, unless you go to Russia!
Why Hisense is making this so impossible??
They made the same mistake with A6L (successor of A6) without Google Apps.

#16  stumped 04-24-2020, 06:37 AM
Quote skynet84
Of course models without Google apps a part of the chinese market. But Hisense released A6 WITH Google apps only in Russia market, not anywhere else in other country of the wolrd.
So it's impossible to buy one, unless you go to Russia!
Why Hisense is making this so impossible??
They made the same mistake with A6L (successor of A6) without Google Apps.
It's not a mistake
Their chinese masters want to block easy access to uncensored news, blocking Google store and services helps with that

#17  Tar 04-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Google is useless bloatware.
I am very happy Hisense is not including it.
It is a major selling point for me.

There are lots of phones that bow to their USA/NSA masters and include Google services. Go ahead and buy those as well as a dedicated e-reader for your convenience.

May I suggest discussing the phone for what it is and not for what it isn't? So that we could have a more constructive discussion.

Now I'm off to fill a Google Captcha to be able to post this. :)

#18  norweger 04-24-2020, 10:49 AM
You're kidding, tar?

Without Google Play Services you can't simply go to the app store to get your favorite Android apps. I'd like FBReader, GoldenDict, Listen Audiobook Player, Anki, Echohacks and many more, some of which require Google Play Services. With just two posts here, it's almost like I suspect you've made an astroturf account.

#19  stumped 04-24-2020, 10:57 AM
Maybe he pirates all his apps, so he does not need play store.

Unless hisense comes with quality own brand alternatives ?

#20  pdurrant 04-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Members are reminded to discuss things politely and without name calling.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/15)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register