Mobileread
mobi2oeb
#31  blue223 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry to bump this but can someone show me step by step how to use mobi2oeb? My ebook is now DRM free I just need to convert it to another format without all the gibberish...Any help would be appreciated

#32  wallcraft 03-16-2009, 05:47 PM
If you want ePub or LRF, you can now use the Calbre GUI to do the conversion from MOBI.

If you want to "explode" the MOBI to HTML for later conversion to some other format, then Calibre's command line tool mobi2oeb (described here) may be your best option. It is very easy to use, from the command shell issue the command:
Code
mobi2oeb -o ebookname ebookname.mobi
where "ebookname" is the filename and the "-o" option tells mobi2oeb to put the result in a subdirectory called ebookname. If you already have the MOBI in its own subdirectory you can leave off the "-o ebookname". Your ebook might also have the extension .prc, this is perfectly ok (just use .prc in place of .mobi).

For information about how to get a command prompt, see Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac. You would then navigate to the directory containing the MOBI ebook using the cd (change directory) command. I generally copy the full directory path from a window open on the directory and paste it into the command window after the cd.

#33  kevindorsey 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the walkthorugh.

#34  blue223 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks! Only thing is, I think my ebook is too long, it's several thousand pages. I left mobi2oeb running for a while, and came back and I got this:

File "reader.py", line 598, in <module>
File "reader.py", line 598, in main
File "reader.py", line 196, in extract_content
File "re.pyo", line 150, in sub

MemoryError

Is my ebook just too long? I'm sooo close to getting this out of mobi format this is the last step left I think!

#35  wallcraft 03-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Another option is mobi2html from MobiPerl. There are binaries for Windows (you don't need to install Perl to run MobiPerl on Windows). The command line is similar to mobi2oeb. First copy mobi2html into your current directory (not necessary if it is already in your command path) and then issue the command:
Code
mobi2html ebookname.mobi ebookname
This won't work if the ebook uses MobiPocket's high compression option though.

#36  blue223 03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I did that now and got this:

probably HUFFDIC_COMPRESSED - CANNOT BE DECOMPRESSED!!!

soo close, do I have any other options?

#37  JSWolf 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Try using Calibre to convert your eBook to LIT, ePub, or LRF.

#38  tompe 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Quote blue223
I did that now and got this:

probably HUFFDIC_COMPRESSED - CANNOT BE DECOMPRESSED!!!

soo close, do I have any other options?
I think that maybe the Perl module on cpan (was the name ebook or) might support it. There should be a thread about this module here.

#39  nrapallo 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Quote tompe
I think that maybe the Perl module on cpan (was the name ebook or) might support it. There should be a thread about this module here.
No, the CPAN 'Ebook-tools' does not yet handle HuffDic compressed files, only standard compressed ones like MobiPerl. (Tommy, wouldn't it have been nice if the Perl code existed for that! )

However, MobiHuff.py may do the trick. I have converted a ~ 10 MB .prc ebook this way and it worked well. Google for it and read this post afterwards.

PM if you are interested and still need some assistance.

#40  blue223 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Finally got it with MobiHuff, thanks to all who helped

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (4/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register