Mobileread
calibre-sync: Automatically download books from your Calibre Content Server onto Kobo
#1  mishagale 09-26-2015, 04:25 PM
As far as I was aware, there was no way, without significant hacking (like installing an alternative to Nickel such as Koreader), to make your Kobo automatically download books from your Calibre library to your device, over WiFi. So I wrote a daemon which does just that.

It can be installed without needing any other hacks or launchers, since it simply runs in the background as a daemon process. To configure it, modify the calibre-sync.ini file on your SD card.

DISCLAIMER
I'd say it's unlikely that this software will cause any damage to your device, but it is new and not extensively tested. I advise you to take a backup before installing. I am not responsible in the unlikely event that you lose data or brick your device.

I'm pretty sure it works on a Kobo Touch running firmware 3.0.1, since that's what I have. I'd be very grateful to anyone running other devices and firmwares who can either confirm it works, or submit bug reports.

Downloads and setup instructions can be found here.

#2  sherman 09-28-2015, 08:39 PM
This looks rather interesting.

Have you looked into using the calibre wireless driver rather than the content server? Would such a thing be possible?

This seems a little to broad to me, to get a limited number of books, one would have to create a seperate (virtual) library, and only share that on the content server.

#3  mishagale 09-29-2015, 04:57 AM
Quote sherman
This looks rather interesting.

Have you looked into using the calibre wireless driver rather than the content server? Would such a thing be possible?
I haven't really looked into using the wireless driver, but it's something I'm thinking about for a future release. Probably shouldn't hold your breath for it yet though.

Quote sherman
This seems a little to broad to me, to get a limited number of books, one would have to create a seperate (virtual) library, and only share that on the content server.
If you just want one or two books, you could just open the content server in the Kobo browser and download them manually.

However, another feature I'm planning to add, probably quite soon, is the ability to specify whitelist/blacklists by regular expression matched against author and/or title in the config file. I'm also planning to add a way to run calibre-sync once without actually downloading the books, but with updating the list of downloaded books - so you could make sure that from that point on, it would ignore all books currently in the library.

If anyone wants new/better functionality, I'd advise them to be loud about it. Right now, the tool works well enough for my own use-case, so unless I know that other people are actually using it and have needs which don't match my own, I'm not very motivated to keep working on it.

#4  mobamoba 10-03-2015, 11:14 AM
This looks great! I use Calibre all the time so thanks!

#5  k_k_kls 03-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Will it work on kobo aura one?

#6  mishagale 03-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Quote k_k_kls
Will it work on kobo aura one?
I don't have an Aura to test with, but it should work on any Kobo. I'd be pleased to hear how it works on your device, and if it doesn't, maybe I can fix it.

#7  k_k_kls 03-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Thank you man for your support!That moves me a lot,I thought you were gone.

I will test after I receive my device.I just place my order,it will take quite a long time to arrive,like half a month......

#8  mishagale 03-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Quote k_k_kls
Thank you man for your support!That moves me a lot,I thought you were gone.

I will test after I receive my device.I just place my order,it will take quite a long time to arrive,like half a month......
Note quite gone, just haven't been working on it for quite a while. It basically works fine for me, so I don't have much motivation to do more development, and the user-base is very small. But if I get bug reports and feature requests, I'll try and address them.

#9  k_k_kls 03-23-2017, 09:38 PM
I suppose its user-base will increase a lot if you post this thread on kobo forum.
Your firmware still 3.0.1?

#10  k_k_kls 04-13-2017, 06:23 AM
Sorry man,I decide to use autoshelf to manage my books.I think its very difficult to make autoshelf and calibre-sync both work,so I give calibre-sync up.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register