Mobileread
Kindle Father's Day 2019 sale
#1  binaryhermit 06-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Basic Kindle $69.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P3J564G
Paperwhite $99.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXG6C9W
Oasis $199.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD5YCKX

#2  Dr. Drib 06-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Waterproof, huh?

I can't wait to take a shower! (And while I'm at it, I'll take my cue from Kramer and make a salad.)

The Oasis, now...isn't this the first time it's gone on sale?

#3  binaryhermit 06-09-2019, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure if it's the first time, but it's the first time in a long time

#4  Dr. Drib 06-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Quote binaryhermit

If it is the first time, this may be the first clue that something new may soon be on the horizon...

#5  binaryhermit 06-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Indeed. Although that's long been suspected, the Oasis 2 is getting a little long in the tooth by amazon's usual kindle product cycle.

#6  rcentros 06-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Quote binaryhermit
And the same price as the Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8" — probably just a coincidence.

#7  GtrsRGr8 06-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Quote Dr. Drib
Waterproof, huh?

I can't wait to take a shower! (And while I'm at it, I'll take my cue from Kramer and make a salad.)

The Oasis, now...isn't this the first time it's gone on sale?
I'm sorry my dear doctor, but I doubted you. I couldn't believe that the product actually claims to be waterproof (vs water resistant), until I looked at the product description myself.

I think that showers will be safe, and probably is the kind of thing that Amazon had in mind. Versus taking it on an underwater dive with you. Underwater archaeologists need to take notes while doing their work. After reaching a few feet, the water pressure would probably be so high that the Kindle will fail. I suppose that, for now, underwater archaeologists will have to stay with that special pencil that will write and paper that can be written on, when wet.

What I don't quite understand is an advertisement that I saw for a wristwatch recently. The ad stated that it is water resistant up to 300 meters (I'm not going to look up the what that translates to exactly in feet, but I know that that is well over 900 feet, and probably closer to 1,000), but not to use it for diving.

#8  Dr. Drib 06-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Indeed! Your explication makes perfect sense to me!

#9  binaryhermit 06-11-2019, 02:15 AM
And regarding the Oasis drop being due to the Nook Glowlight Plus, could be. Competition's always good, look what happened in the browser market circa 2000 once Netscape more or less died. (Spoiler alert, MS got complacent and IE got stagnant. Then Netscape was reborn as Mozilla which sort of but not really became Firefox. Which made things interesting again)

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register