Mobileread
Aura ONE Windows detects I/O error
#1  petercreasey 06-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Recently, upon launching my KA1, Windows 10 gave a popup in the lower right corner of the screen saying an error has been detected and thus "scan and fix" should be invoked.

I ran checkdsk with "scan and fix" so that the result was a report that said there was no longer an error.

The KA1 did fine for a while but now the same popup comes up saying there is an I/O error and "scan and fix" should be performed. I have NOT done this repair again thus far.

Any ideas what is causing this sequence to repeat? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#2  davidfor 06-07-2019, 09:58 PM
It is either perfectly safe to do it, or it will break things. And if it breaks things, they were already broken.

This is the same as for any other drive that Windows, or other OSes see, and consider to be dirty. In most cases, there are no problems and it is really a case of marking the drive as clean. But, there can be problems. The file system can have errors. These need to be fixed and in fixing them, it can lead to loss of data. But, chances are, you have lost those files already.

In short:

Let Windows run the scan. Be careful ejecting the device. If it keeps happening, it might be a sign of another problem (e.g. a failing SD card).

Also, this is in no way different to all of your other recent posts about this. Any particular reason for starting another thread?

#3  petercreasey 06-08-2019, 09:31 AM
David, I don't use an SD card.

The sequence is different thereby targeted for different advisors.

Thanks.

[EDITED TO ADD] Just clicked on the error popup and ran the Scan & Fix and it once again at the end said there were no errors found!?!

#4  davidfor 06-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Quote petercreasey
David, I don't use an SD card.
Whoops, you have an Aura ONE, so it could be failing internal memory. That's what I meant.
The sequence is different thereby targeted for different advisors.
If Windows tells you it needs to scan the disk, it doesn't matter what else is going on, it is the SAME thing.
Thanks.

[EDITED TO ADD] Just clicked on the error popup and ran the Scan & Fix and it once again at the end said there were no errors found!?!
Which is what was expected and you were told several times.

#5  petercreasey 06-08-2019, 10:30 AM
David etal, would there be other symptoms to specifically look for as indication(s) of failing memory?

#6  blak4dr 06-09-2019, 05:58 AM
It happens to me all the time. Sometimes when you disconnect your kobo it fails to do it safely and this appears.

Just ignore it and you will be just fine. I would not worry too much about it if I were you. I don't and I never had a problem.

#7  petercreasey 06-09-2019, 09:30 AM
b, thanks for the good info and advice.

Do you Scan/Fix/Repair each time you get the alert or just ignore it?

#8  koboy 06-09-2019, 04:58 PM
Quote petercreasey
b, thanks for the good info and advice.

Do you Scan/Fix/Repair each time you get the alert or just ignore it?
i (always) ignore and (always) have no problems.

best wishes koboy

#9  petercreasey 06-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Adobe Digital Editions was having some difficultly with my KA1 while the alert was appearing. Sometime after doing a Scan/Fix/Repair, ADE seemed to return to normal processing.

Possibly (probably?) a coincidence.

#10  Readirect 06-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Quote davidfor
Whoops, you have an Aura ONE, so it could be failing internal memory. That's what I meant.

If Windows tells you it needs to scan the disk, it doesn't matter what else is going on, it is the SAME thing.

Which is what was expected and you were told several times.
Actually, you were correct the first time. The KA1 does indeed use an (internal) SD card for its storage.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register