Mobileread
iOS 13 Beta Discussion Thread
#1  OtinG 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
We needed a thread specifically for discussing the new iOS 13 while in Beta.

#2  OtinG 06-05-2019, 02:21 PM
This article named "iOS 13 Will Let You Silence Unknown Callers to Help Combat Pesky Calls" is good news. (Title says it all...)

Silence Unknown Callers is a new setting in iOS 13, which, when turned on, will use Siri intelligence to allow calls to ring your phone only when the calling number is found in your Contacts, Mail, or Messages apps. It will automatically send all other calls to voicemail. This will help users avoid spam and telemarketing calls. If the feature description is any indication, all non-recognised numbers will not even ring, thus providing an uninterrupted experience to the iPhone users.
It is about friggin' time we got this!

This is really good since most spam calls never leave messages. With the elections returning next year, that might change though. I currently have a Contact named "Ignore" which has hundreds of numbers from unwanted callers. I then blocked "Ignore" from receiving calls therein. I also assigned a faint chime as the default call ring for any unknown callers. If this new feature actually works, I can get rid of most of the "Ignore" contact's numbers. However, I do think I'll keep that blocked contact as a place to put repeat offenders numbers.

#3  tomsem 06-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Demo of mouse support (works with Magic Trackpad also):

https://mobile.twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1135653636145590273

#4  OtinG 06-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Quote tomsem
Demo of mouse support (works with Magic Trackpad also):

https://mobile.twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1135653636145590273
Basicaly the support is a simulated finger. Apparently there is little support beyond that. Probably no right-click for menus, etc. Hopefully they will add more mouse functionality in the future.

If they created a powerful iPad with true built-in mouse support, maybe they could better compete with devices like the Microsoft Surface Pro and have it become a middle ground between iPads of today and MacBook Pros. I can see such a device replacing the MacBook Air.

#5  ilovejedd 06-05-2019, 03:18 PM
Afaik, mouse is an accessibility feature at the moment. Even with how limited it is, I’d be very happy to have the feature. Reaching out to the display all the time when using the iPad 12.9 with keyboard on a desk is tiring.

I can’t wait for the iPadOS/iOS 13 public beta. On that note, I probably should buy a Lightning to USB adapter.

#6  Deskisamess 06-05-2019, 03:30 PM
I don't want spam calls going to my voice mail, that just confirms they called a working number. 99% of spam calls I get now are spoofing my own area code and first three numbers of my phone number. If they aren't in my contacts, I reject the call.

I reject them immediately when they pop up on my Apple Watch or iPhone. If it is someone who really needs to get a hold of me, they can text me, or email me.

Repeat spam calls are added to my SPAM contact, but that rarely happens anymore.

#7  OtinG 06-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Quote ilovejedd
Afaik, mouse is an accessibility feature at the moment. Even with how limited it is, I’d be very happy to have the feature. Reaching out to the display all the time when using the iPad 12.9 with keyboard on a desk is tiring.

I can’t wait for the iPadOS/iOS 13 public beta. On that note, I probably should buy a Lightning to USB adapter.
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 11” laptop running Win 10 with touch screen. I almost never use the touch screen when in laptop mode for the reason you mentioned. Thankfully it has full mouse support. Once you attach a keyboard to an iPad the touch screen becomes a colossal PITA too use and you really need mouse support. Partial support is a welcomed beginning, but they really need to give it full mouse support IMO.

#8  tomsem 06-06-2019, 12:41 AM
Quote OtinG
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 11” laptop running Win 10 with touch screen. I almost never use the touch screen when in laptop mode for the reason you mentioned. Thankfully it has full mouse support. Once you attach a keyboard to an iPad the touch screen becomes a colossal PITA too use and you really need mouse support. Partial support is a welcomed beginning, but they really need to give it full mouse support IMO.
Agreed. It is compounded by the fact that many iPad app developers don’t bother to create useful keyboard shortcuts. Hopefully, they will follow the lead of Safari and Files and start thinking about it.

#9  HarryT 06-06-2019, 02:34 AM
I don’t think I’ve ever had a spam call on my mobile phone. I’m pretty sure that making such calls is illegal in Britain.

#10  Plumadona 06-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Quote HarryT
I don’t think I’ve ever had a spam call on my mobile phone. I’m pretty sure that making such calls is illegal in Britain.
Lucky you! Here in the U.S. (N.Y.), we get as many as four calls a day on the home phone and two on the cell. Seniors are a particularly attractive target for scammers and sales - my mom (87 years old) gets even more calls on a bad day.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register