Mobileread
The Imminent Departure of iTunes into the Dustbin of History.
#1  GtrsRGr8 06-05-2019, 01:17 AM
Popular broadcaster and columnist of "all things digital," Kim Komando, passed along the following, in her daily email message to subscribers, yesterday (June 4, 2019 EDT).

I can't think of anything that has been more of a "Resource" (I was most interested in the ship-load of college courses), nor "Deal" (all of the college courses (through what Apple had called "iTunes U.")) have been _free_.

Ms.Komando:
"RIP iTunes: After almost 20 years, Apple pulls the plug on media program iTunes as we know it will be no more [sic]. At its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), Apple announced that it is taking iTunes off its new operating system for Macs and Macbooks. Instead of iTunes, consumers will see apps for Apple Music, Apple TV and Apple Podcasts, which already exist on iPhones and iPads."

Despite my glowing comments above, I say good riddance. That's primarily because Apple apparently offered the "iTunes U." only to owners of Apple devices (I spent about an hour and a half a few nights ago trying to find out if I, a Windows/Android user, could access iTunes U. now. I came to the conclusion that I could not. Windows users _could_ do that just a few years ago.)

#2  binaryhermit 06-05-2019, 01:28 AM
Allegedly, Windows iTunes is staying as-is for now.

And I'm not sure if what's replacing iTunes is really better in any way, it's just 3 separate programs.

And as I don't really frequently use a device that supports iTunes...

Although I could go through the hell that might be required to get it working on wine, if I really wanted to.

#3  GtrsRGr8 06-05-2019, 01:41 AM
Quote binaryhermit
Maybe you're right. I just based my comments upon what Ms. Komando wrote. I feel that she's (or, I should say, her staff is) credible.

#4  HarryT 06-05-2019, 01:46 AM
Moved to the Apple forum.

#5  Dylrob 06-05-2019, 01:54 AM
Quote binaryhermit

And I'm not sure if what's replacing iTunes is really better in any way, it's just 3 separate programs.
Better or no, it is what many users have been requesting for years and years. iTunes has become a symbol of bloat, even amongst Apple loyalists.

#6  HarryT 06-05-2019, 02:02 AM
I do hope that if they eventually split it up on Windows too, the functionality to manage a local music library is retained. iTunes is one of my most used programs. It's essential to me.

#7  FrustratedReader 06-05-2019, 05:57 AM
Quote binaryhermit
Although I could go through the hell that might be required to get it working on wine, if I really wanted to.
I gave up. Also though I managed to connect the iPhone 4s to Linux and copy MP3s, you need VLC to play them. The built in player ONLY plays music transferred by iTunes (either cloud or iTunes on a PC). No music Player app will install on iOS7, VLC used to work on iPhone 4, but I was given the phone and it had nothing extra installed except a couple of games.

I eventually got it to work on an old Win7 PC used occasionally for games, but it's painful to use and very unreliable. No SIM in the iPhone currently, but I thought with 32 G it would be a handy extra MP3 player for my workshop.

Walled Garden. I certainly won't buy any Apple gadget. My daughter has trouble with her iPad. Apple is totally in control, not the owner.

A lot of nonsense in the Media and free PR for Apple (again) about "demise" of iTunes. It's simply restructuring.

I use Amazon and Smashwords for "publishing". Smashwords redistributes to Apple, Barnes & Noble and Kobo which certainly solves a headache. I've sold some books on all three of those via Smashwords. Overall about as many via Smashwords as Amazon, even though Amazon has maybe more than 90% of eBook sales. There is a Kindle app for everything except Linux. Obviously many Publishers are missing out by only using Amazon. Exclusivity is evil (KDP Select).

It's time Apple was forbidden for making Apps on "iTunes" exclusive, you can't sell or give away any iPhone/iPad app that's on iTunes/Apple Store.

I've also been annoyed by old albums that are now ONLY on iTunes and only sold per track. What sort of idiots are the publishers?

#8  binaryhermit 06-05-2019, 07:43 AM
Quote FrustratedReader
There is a Kindle app for everything except Linux.
I know read.amazon.com works more than well enough in my experience, and I suspect the Windows kindle app might maybe work in wine.

#9  pwalker8 06-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Quote GtrsRGr8
Maybe you're right. I just based my comments upon what Ms. Komando wrote. I feel that she's (or, I should say, her staff is) credible.
She was clearly talking about the new OS for macs.

#10  FrustratedReader 06-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Quote binaryhermit
and I suspect the Windows kindle app might maybe work in wine.
It doesn't. An older one did, but you can't install it now because it won't authorise. I think the older one, if already installed, now only works for old content or locally added content.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register