Mobileread
disable embedded YouTube?
#1  John F 06-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Is there an option to disable embedded you tube images/links? If not, can one be added?

On my tablet, when there are YouTube embeds, it makes it slow bringing up the thread and there is a lot of UI jumping around.

Thanks.

#2  BookCat 06-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Do you mean when not just the link, but the actual video shows? (That was terribly phrased, sorry!)

#3  John F 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Quote BookCat
Do you mean when not just the link, but the actual video shows? (That was terribly phrased, sorry!)
Like in the Name in a Song thread. Where it shows an image, with a play button on it, and if you ht the play button, the video is shown (in place).

#4  DiapDealer 06-05-2019, 04:16 PM
There is no way to give members the ability to disable embedded Youtube links, unfortunately. Those threads where they're included in nearly every post can be a royal pain to navigate. My workaround is to pretend those threads don't exist and never visit them.

It's one of the reasons I always put embedded videos behind spoiler tags when I post them (which is very rarely). A thread full of spoilered Youtube videos will load just as quickly as a thread without ANY Youtube videos at all. Unfortunately, the practice didn't catch on. So when you visit those threads, 25-30 videos are simultaneously pre-loading their content. It renders them nearly unusable in my opinion. But those who frequent those threads regularly don't seem to care, so ....

#5  ilovejedd 06-05-2019, 04:33 PM
On my devices (Chrome/Firefox on Windows and Safari on iPad), embedded videos don't start loading/playing until I tap on them.

#6  DiapDealer 06-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Quote ilovejedd
On my devices (Chrome/Firefox on Windows and Safari on iPad), embedded videos don't start loading/playing until I tap on them.
I'm not talking about them auto-playing. Each and every embedded Youtube link pre-fetches the video's metadata and the thumbnail to display (as well as the javascript that runs to present the controls for the player). That stuff happens for every single embedded video on a page whether a user ever taps/clicks on a video or not. Slower devices, as well as those with slower internet speeds experience huge lags and graphic jittering as each thumbnail is retrieved and the UI is expanded to present it. Extra resources are being consumed just to present the thumbnails to be tapped on.

#7  John F 06-05-2019, 05:09 PM
DiapDealer, thank you for looking into it.

#8  Dazrin 06-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Seems odd that you can disable images but not videos. Weird. I would have expected the one option to disable both.

#9  DiapDealer 06-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Quote John F
DiapDealer, thank you for looking into it.
Oh, it's been a pet-peeve of mine for a while. There's just not much to be done about it unfortunately. Universally disabling embedded videos clearly isn't an option, but I don't think anyone ever foresaw that people would create entire threads full of nothing BUT videos either. Bit of a catch-22.

#10  ilovejedd 06-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Quote DiapDealer
I'm not talking about them auto-playing. Each and every embedded Youtube link pre-fetches the video's metadata and the thumbnail to display (as well as the javascript that runs to present the controls for the player). That stuff happens for every single embedded video on a page whether a user ever taps/clicks on a video or not. Slower devices, as well as those with slower internet speeds experience huge lags and graphic jittering as each thumbnail is retrieved and the UI is expanded to present it. Extra resources are being consumed just to present the thumbnails to be tapped on.
Interesting. Never really thought about that. Guess I'm lucky to have fast enough internet and devices that I can take the thumbnails and JavaScript for granted (even on mobile devices and LTE).

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register