Mobileread
iPod Apple announces a new iPod Touch
#1  DaleDe 05-28-2019, 02:24 PM
https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/28/apple-announces-a-new-ipod-touch/?utm_medium=techboard.tue.20190528&utm_source=emai l&utm_content=&utm_campaign=campaign

Techcrunch provides the details. It is mostly a CPU upgrade to the A10 Fusion chip making it the equivalent of an iPhone 7. It is the size of an iPhone 5.

Dale

#2  Tarana 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM
I was very excited. I don't have/use a Smartphone and my current Itouch is having a problem with app upgrades because I can't upgrade the system any longer. I'll save up for the midrange one. Yay! In addition, I was happy to see that while it does have Bluetooth function, it isn't totally dependent on it.

#3  ilovejedd 05-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Somewhat disappointing it's still iPhone 5/5s size. I've encountered some apps where the touch points are off on 4" devices. I think some developers just aren't bothering testing with that size nowadays.

Also no TouchID. After 6 years, you'd think that technology would've trickled down by now.

#4  lumpynose 05-28-2019, 04:22 PM
It's kind of interesting that they're still making these. Several years ago I looked for the equivalent gizmo in the android space and they are rare. Samsung made one but it was pricey.

#5  ilovejedd 05-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Quote lumpynose
It's kind of interesting that they're still making these. Several years ago I looked for the equivalent gizmo in the android space and they are rare. Samsung made one but it was pricey.
I don't really see the point of an Android version of the iPod touch when plenty of fairly decent Android smartphones can be had for $100-200 full MSRP (even under $50 for prepaid kits). I'm particularly fond of the Moto E and G series.

#6  lumpynose 05-28-2019, 04:41 PM
Quote ilovejedd
I don't really see the point of an Android version of the iPod touch when plenty of fairly decent Android smartphones can be had for $100-200 full MSRP (even under $50 for prepaid kits). I'm particularly fond of the Moto E and G series.
Yeah they're priced nicely now. Back when I checked for an android mp3 player the prices weren't so great. I think the Samsung one that I found was over $200.

#7  OtinG 05-28-2019, 04:50 PM
It seems like it would be better to buy a used iPhone 7 or 7+ than the new Touch. Bigger screen, and you could use it for a smartphone if you decided too. I recently sold mine for $235 with good battery and 128GB, and that was about the going rate on eBay. A Touch with 128GB will cost more.

#8  ilovejedd 05-28-2019, 05:03 PM
Quote lumpynose
Yeah they're priced nicely now. Back when I checked for an android mp3 player the prices weren't so great. I think the Samsung one that I found was over $200.
Must've been ages ago (tech-wise). The 1st generation Moto G phone was released in 2013, iirc.

#9  Tarana 05-28-2019, 05:10 PM
Quote ilovejedd
Somewhat disappointing it's still iPhone 5/5s size. I've encountered some apps where the touch points are off on 4" devices. I think some developers just aren't bothering testing with that size nowadays.

Also no TouchID. After 6 years, you'd think that technology would've trickled down by now.
If you want a iphone feature buy an Iphone. I love the size, and thank APPLE they didn't put TouchID on it. I don't want those nightmares nor the cost associated with it.

#10  ilovejedd 05-28-2019, 06:07 PM
Quote Tarana
If you want a iphone feature buy an Iphone. I love the size, and thank APPLE they didn't put TouchID on it. I don't want those nightmares nor the cost associated with it.
When a $100 Moto E has fingerprint authentication, TouchID should've been incorporated into the iPod touch refresh without additional cost.

Honestly, it's not so much the size per se but rather the fact that some developers ignore that 4" iOS devices still exist. My mom has a 4" iPhone SE (still performs great, only cost $150 for 32GB brand new a couple years ago) and on a couple of her apps, she came to me saying the (virtual) "buttons" don't work. I eventually discovered the touch points are several pixels away from the button/icon graphics. It's like 4" devices are treated like the bastard stepchild by devs now.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register