Mobileread
Firmware 4.15.12920
#1  evirtue 05-28-2019, 12:36 PM
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

After you download the firmware for your device, extract the zip file into the .kobo folder on your Kobo eReader.

Release Notes 4.15.12920
Parental controls:
You can set a 4-digit PIN that must be entered to access the store and web browser on your eReader.
To turn it on, go to Settings and select Accounts.
Indented table of contents:
If your book's table of contents contains multiple levels, it will be indented for better readability.
Search improvements:
Typing is now more responsive when searching.
Wi Fi now reconnects more quickly before you search the store, allowing search suggestions to appear as you type.
Fixed:
Previously, when reading .MOBI books, your progress was not remembered.

#2  ps67 05-28-2019, 01:51 PM
Quote evirtue
Indented table of contents:
If your book's table of contents contains multiple levels, it will be indented for better readability.
I asked if it was possible a patch for that feature, when possible (patches ready, may be calibre ready ecc.) I will be happy to update.

#3  geek1011 05-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Kobo Firmware 4.15.12920

Kobo firmware 4.15.12920 has been released. As of May 28, 2019, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Clara HD, and the Kobo Forma. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code

#4  geek1011 05-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Patches will be out tonight or tomorrow morning.

#5  Semwize 05-28-2019, 02:38 PM
Quote evirtue
With epub books it does not work, alas (only kepub)

#6  FrustratedReader 05-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Quote Semwize
A publisher / ebook creator's inline TOC, rather than the system TOC, can though be any layout and the start of that can be arranged to be in the system TOC, giving a user short cut to a "pretty" inline TOC with any viable mobi / AZW3 / ePub provided the target ereader supports internal links in an ebook. Some really old ereaders curiously don't. Obviously links can be awkward in non-touch ereaders.

#7  geek1011 05-28-2019, 05:53 PM
The patches are ready: Instructions for patching firmware 4.15.12920.

I've also made some patches to fix the new TOC level feature. One increases the indentation to make it more visible, and the other fixes a new bug where all entries are indented by 1 level extra.

#8  the.Mtn.Man 05-28-2019, 07:20 PM
Quote geek1011
The patches are ready: Instructions for patching firmware 4.15.12920.

I've also made some patches to fix the new TOC level feature. One increases the indentation to make it more visible, and the other fixes a new bug where all entries are indented by 1 level extra.
That was fast. Thank you for your work, as always!

#9  davidfor 05-28-2019, 07:39 PM
Quote Semwize
Yes it does. But, for epubs, it will only work for newly added books. The ToC is from the database. The database is updated when the book is imported. For kepubs, the information for the indenting was already being stored (column "Depth" in table "content"). For epubs, it wasn't but is starting with this firmware, it is. Any epub you add now will show the ToC indentation. For books already on the device, you will need to remove and add it again.

#10  davidfor 05-28-2019, 08:03 PM
As has been noticed, a new firmware version has been released. This should be going to all devices except the Mini. And it should be being rolled out gradually to different affiliates.

The release notes give the big items. The two to comment on are:

Parental controls
This is on the Accounts page of the settings. When you turn this on, you will be prompted for PIN to turn it off later. When enabled, it most of the methods to access the net. This includes the shop, Pocket and the browser. It doesn't completely disable networking as book can still be synced. When Parental Controls are turned on, there is an extra icon in the top menu bar. Tapping this shows the status and a menu item to access the Accounts page.

One thing that is turned off that I do not like is reading stats. The Activity page is not available and cannot see the overall stats for the current book and reading on the device. The in-book stats for kepubs are still available.

Indented table of contents
The ToC page will now show indentation for nested ToC entries. This will work for epubs and kepubs. I haven't tried other formats, but it requires the book to have nested ToC entries.

One thing is that for epubs, indentation will not be shown for books already on the device. The ToC indentation is based on data read when the book is imported to the device. This was not read from epubs in the past. You will need to remove and resideload your epubs to see the indentation. For kepubs, this was already being read, so the indentation should be seen for all epubs.

MOBI Reading position
Remembering the reading position in MOBI books has been fixed. But, the current status will still show as 1%.

Other fixes I know of:
If I remember anything else, I will add it.

calibre
There are no changes in the firmware that affect calibre's interaction with the device. I will update the driver to recognize the new firmware version. It should be in the next calibre release. But, until then, it is completely safe to enable the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver.

Calibe version 3.44 has been released with support for firmware 4.14.12920.

Next »  Last »  (1/13)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register