Mobileread
non-image cover page?
#1  lumpynose 05-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Does a cover page need to be an image? I.e., can it be text?

I was assuming it must be an image and was going to hunker down and make one with SVG but I thought I'd ask first.

#2  DaleDe 05-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Quote lumpynose
Does a cover page need to be an image? I.e., can it be text?

I was assuming it must be an image and was going to hunker down and make one with SVG but I thought I'd ask first.
It needs to be an image, generally not an SVG since you may want to show it separately in a description of the book. The image can certainly be text only if you wish.

Dale

#3  lumpynose 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Quote DaleDe
It needs to be an image, generally not an SVG since you may want to show it separately in a description of the book. The image can certainly be text only if you wish.

Dale
Thanks; I wasn't clear in what I was after. I'm thinking about making a "space efficient" epub and not using any images (jpeg, png). So for the cover page I was thinking that if it needs an image I could make an svg, and use its <text> and </text> tags and since it's all text it should compress well.

#4  Turtle91 05-28-2019, 05:36 PM
IMO - Covers are meant to grab your attention as you are browsing through rows/aisles of books. A good cover will also "set the tone" - give an impression of the book and what it's about. I don't know how many books I've completely ignored because of a bad cover...unless, of course, it is sooo bad that I have to laugh at it...

It would seem like a lot of extra work to make an image of text...

#5  lumpynose 05-28-2019, 11:45 PM
Quote Turtle91
IMO - Covers are meant to grab your attention as you are browsing through rows/aisles of books.

It would seem like a lot of extra work to make an image of text...
Here's the original cover; hardly anything to get your blood pumping. After replacing it with a text svg the size of the epub went to 191 Kb. With the image it was 380 KB. As for the extra work, yeah, but I like learning new things and svg is a big ball of string.

show attachment »

#6  DaleDe 05-29-2019, 02:41 PM
Amazon requires a JPG for their cover. ePub seems to allow any format they support. Could you post your svg source?

Dale

#7  lumpynose 05-29-2019, 02:53 PM
Quote DaleDe
Amazon requires a JPG for their cover. ePub seems to allow any format they support. Could you post your svg source?

Dale
Good to know about Amazon; thanks.

I'm having a problem with it. Here's the thread/query for that:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3850624

#8  DaleDe 05-29-2019, 04:52 PM
Here is an example from our wiki SVG@Wiki »
Code
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
<svg width="10cm" height="3cm" viewBox="0 0 1000 300" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1"> <desc>Example text01 - 'Hello, out there' in blue</desc> <text x="250" y="150" font-family="Verdana" font-size="55" fill="blue" > Hello, out there </text> <!-- Show outline of canvas using 'rect' element --> <rect x="1" y="1" width="998" height="298" fill="none" stroke="blue" stroke-width="2" />
</svg>

#9  lumpynose 05-29-2019, 05:44 PM
Quote DaleDe
Here is an example from our wiki SVG@Wiki »
Yes, the wiki is where I started reading. developer.mozilla.org also has a good tutorial.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register